Getting molars to touch

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Getting molars to touch

#1 Post by Chris »

Ok, I just want to hear from some "long-timers" in braces whose molars didn't touch for a long time. Did the elastics work really quick in bringing them together?

I'm also curious how the arch wire looked. I mean, right now my wire is pretty straight but my molars aren't touching evenly yet, when the elastics go in will the wire stay straight? Seems to me that if the molars need to be brought together and not the front that the wire would be lower eventually in the back.

Does this make any sense to anyone here? It sure is hard to describe things sometimes.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Evelyn

#2 Post by Evelyn »

Hey Chris! I can relate to you about the whole molar thing, there was a period of about 7 months right at around 1 1/2 -2 years where my molars just did not meet at all. Sure they touched in one or two places, but it was hardly what you could call a bite....

I've never had elastics, even to this day, but my bite is now a lot better. Mine got fixed just by using different archwires. It's still not perfet by any means, but at least my molars do touch now and it's semi-comfortable.

Good luck and hopefully things will get better for you soon!

xoxo Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Thanks Eve! Its good to know I'm not alone with this problem. I'm figurinig it will correct itself during the elastic phase.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

LoobyLou

#4 Post by LoobyLou »

I think this whole molar thing is one of the most frustrating parts of the brace process. My teeth keep going in stages of touching and then not again.
I had an adjustment yesterday which involved the usual new wires and the repositioning of 3 FRONT brackets. I woke up at 4 am this morning with a sore back molar and overnight somehow my bite had changed and I must have been clenching on these now ONLY 2 teeth overnight!
Just when i had a semi comfy bite it's now v uncomfy and it hurts at the back!
sob sob!

Ps I'm eating my lunch as I type and not having much success! Ouch
LoobyLou
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

mattt

Re: Getting molars to touch

#5 Post by mattt »

Did you guys figure it out in thee end?