Lip Piercing before Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

active

Lip Piercing before Braces

#1 Post by active »

so i've had an expander for almost 6 months and i'm scheduled to get braced on october 25th, which seems sooo distant, but i've been wanting to get my lower lip pierced for the longest and i was wondering if anyone had or knows anything about it and has any advice about possible effects or problems?

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

Well, it seems to me that the lip ring, or whatever you have put in there could catch on your braces and rip your lip and at the same time cause major pain in that tooth....
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

vanilla

#3 Post by vanilla »

I haven't heard anything about lip rings causing grief with braces. However, I have heard from a number of pierced peers that lip rings throw off the alignment of your teeth anyway. It depends on how long you plan to have a lip ring: you'll have metal on your teeth for alignment and metal in your lip to throw it off again. I think lip rings are cool once you're passed the gigantic 'starter' ring but it doesn't seem to do you any favours for alignment.
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

swan

#4 Post by swan »

Getting your lip (or your tongue) pierced is not good for the teeth because the teeth will wear of where the metal touches them.
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

SugarHiccup

#5 Post by SugarHiccup »

I was all set to get mine done as a 'reward' for getting my braces on ... and ortho had a fit. He deals with my tongue ring coz he knows it's not going anywhere, but he severely discouraged the lip ring, and now i'm braced I know why.

It really would get in the way, not to mention probably get caught on the brackets. I would advise getting the braces on first, and then see how you think it would go. You would probably end up having to take it out if you got it beforehand.
[[ Alex: Thank you, you've offered a provocative theory. What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors. ]]

mtbrncofn

#6 Post by mtbrncofn »

I had my labret pierced a couple of times. That would be right under your bottom lip. I liked it, but man was it annoying. They are so harmful to your gum health. They can and most likely will erode your gum line making a gum graft a very definite possibility. I was bummed to remove it for the second time. It left a scar on the inside of my mouth that never went away. It's a little bump and within a day of having my braces put on, that little bump was rubbed right back into a big bump.

I still have the bump and my brackets catch on it constantly. It doesn't hurt, it's just annoying. I can't stand the way it feels. I cannot imagine having a lip or labret piercing that didn't interfere with braces. I don't think it's possible?

PS. The reason I removed mine was because of the gum thing. I started noticing that my gums had receded the tiniest bit and a few other odd things around there and I freaked. It didn't take long either. About 3 months. Just be informed of anything you do there, I would say.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.