adult palate expander situation

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lzmilo

adult palate expander situation

#1 Post by lzmilo »

I hope someone can answer my question. I have had my rapid palatal expander on since January of this year. I'm trying to find out when this will be out of my mouth (my orth wouldn't give me an answer-just that it'll be on a "very long time"). I've read anywhere up to a year...I'm 29 years old and it'll definitely be on more since I'm an adult and had to have surgery (to make the expander work properly)-but am so anxious to get this thing off. My speech hasn't returned to normal and it won't until it's out of my mouth. Please someone help!

Thanks a bunch,
lzmilo 8)

decisionmade

#2 Post by decisionmade »

Hi Izmilo..I am 34 and I had sarpe too and have the expander in. I will have in a total of 6 mos...My ortho said that is enough time for the bone to regrow in my palet and its new shape will be secured. I don't know why you would need it so long..maybe a question for "ask the doc"?
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

CelestialVoices

#3 Post by CelestialVoices »

do you have to have surgery to get an expander? I didn't even think to ask my ortho about this. Thanks :)

lzmilo

palate expander

#4 Post by lzmilo »

hi decisionmade,
thanks for the info and your response :D I'm definitely going to ask my orth some questions at my next visit. I figure that I'm paying him all of this $$ he needs to explain to me why it needs to stay on so long!
thank you 8)

jaws

#5 Post by jaws »

CelestialVoices--I don't think you have to have surgery to get an expander. I have two expanders (top and bottom) and I never had surgery. I think surgery can help move things along, especially for people with more complex cases, but it is not needed for everyone.
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

JN_Woods

#6 Post by JN_Woods »

No, you don't have to have surgery to have an expander. I'm getting a quad-helix expander on my upper arch and bi-helix expander on my lower arch next week.

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

CelestialVoices

#7 Post by CelestialVoices »

whew thanks JN and Jaws, now I won't be worrying so much :)