Wisdom teeth and braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

28monthjourney

Wisdom teeth and braces?

#1 Post by 28monthjourney »

I haven't gotten my wisdom teeth yet, and my orthodontist said that if, in the time I'm in braces, I do get my wisdom teeth in, or even worse if it happens after, it could cause some complications. I have slight crowding on top and moderate on the bottom, and it would make it worse. In order to prevent this from happening, he suggested I get them out before they sprout. Should I do this before I get braces or would it be okay to do so during once I get a bit more money?

chichi

Re: Wisdom teeth and braces?

#2 Post by chichi »

I think, ideally, you would have them out before you get braces, but it can definitely be done while you're in braces. Most of the people I know had braces as teenagers and had them off before the wisdom teeth were even developed. Obviously in that case, the wisdom teeth were removed some years after their braces came off. I'm not sure how old you are, but it sounds like you're in your late teens or very early 20s since your ortho is still talking about the possibility of your wisdom teeth coming in.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

anedia

#3 Post by anedia »

I got my wisdom teeth out in august then my braces in sept. I would highly recommend getting them out before braces. I couldnt imagine dealing with both at the same time.
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

28monthjourney

#4 Post by 28monthjourney »

Okay, thanks!
Females in my family tend to get their wisdom teeth in anywhere from age 24 to 27, sometimes later. My sister (who is 8 years my senior) still hasn't gotten hers, but my brother got his out when he was 17! I'm guessing they're going to need to be out before the teeth actually erupt to make braces easier. My ortho told me that this is the recommended way to go, as it often prevents an infection that might occur if we wait for the tooth to "sprout", especially since my dad's wisdom teeth were impacted, which means mine might be, too.
Sentence:
28 months in full upper and lower braces, open coil spring for additional alignment space for permanent teeth to erupt, elastics to align back bite, bite turbos, and palate expander.

SkizzyD

#5 Post by SkizzyD »

Yeah, I would definitely get them out before braces if you can.

I have one wisdom tooth left and have braces but that wisdom tooth creates symmetry on both sides in regards to number of teeth. The one in front of it had to be pulled because the wisdom tooth was doing damage to it.

Good luck!

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

Why do you necessarily need to have your wisdom teeth removed if they aren't impacted? I have all of mine and they were never mentioned as a problem before or during my treatment.

survenant

#7 Post by survenant »

For those who need lower jaw surgery, it is almost imperative to get the lower wisdom teeth removed.

Bridgettt

#8 Post by Bridgettt »

I wish I got mine before getting my braces. My ortho said it was fine to get them out after my braces. Now of course I'm getting them out Dec 16th, why? because they think they are in the way of uprighting my molars. So now I have to deal with a longer sentence with braces :(

makaila

#9 Post by makaila »

My wisdom teeth were not grown in yet when I got them out and I also had 4 premolars extracted along with them and I still had my braces on through all of this. It honestly wasnt bad at all, but I also knew that my oral surgeon was REALLY good. I guess it just depends from person to person:)

plugnickel69

#10 Post by plugnickel69 »

In my wife's case, when she was in her early thirties, our dentist told her she needed to have her wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon who removed her wisdom teeth told her she should see an orthodontist, so she ended up in braces for a second time. Dentist had never said anything about the need for braces.

MrsCharisma

#11 Post by MrsCharisma »

*if* you can get them out beforehand, I'd suggest that.

My daughter is 15, had a really ideal set of teeth. The kids dentist also does orthodontics and he marveled at her teeth when all the permanent ones came in.

Now her wisdom teeth are coming in and they have screwed up her lower arch. Poor thing.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Matilda

#12 Post by Matilda »

I'll remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth sometime in January.

JillD

#13 Post by JillD »

I had my three wisdom teeth removed with my four premolars for my braces. I am glad I did.

JohnsonSon

#14 Post by JohnsonSon »

Had my wisdom teeth out after I was braced for about a month. My ortho said it would be fine to wait. Though my case was easy as all 4 of mine were erupted completely.

I'd just do whatever your dentist says though. He's the doctor for a reason.

bellbell

#15 Post by bellbell »

My ortho suggested that I get rid of my wisdom teeth (I had two left at that time) but he also said that it was okay to wait a bit (I was gonna go back to my home country, where dental care is a tiny fraction of the cost here in the US, in a few months). So I waited. But then one tooth suddenly came out when I was 4 months into my treatment and it caused infection. I didn't wanna wait anymore so I had it extracted. Now I have one left but my dentist said it is "horizontal" so it will never come out. :D I guess I will deal with it when I am done with my treatment.