Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ajs604

Re: Beginning treatment to improve open bite.

#61 Post by ajs604 »

Hi Anna,

Had my adjustment yesterday, the ortho didn't really say much. She said that, she was happy with my progress and that my open bite has already closed more than she first thought. I raised my concerns about the left side and she say that the progress there is slower but that's partly my fault as the elastics holding the appliance in place snapped at an earlier time and I couldn't get back there to have them retied in between appointments as I live an hour and a half away from the ortho office. No talk of elastics yet, still early days.

I am back in four weeks to have molds taken for a new appliance, as my current one is almost touching the top of my pallet, which is necessary to continue to get closure of the open bite. From what she is saying, elastics are a way of yet. I really do feel like a bit of a guinea pig but am trusting her. I know this is more routinely done in the US and Europe but think it is a relatively new non surgical treatment in Australia. I am continuing to get teeth touching that haven't touched in years and can eat much better than I before. I am hopeful that we will close this bite but my treatment time is expected to be 30 months and we are only 5 in so a while to go yet!!
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#62 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Andy,

That is great that your ortho was happy with your progress and that you are doing better than she expected! I think you can trust her, because seeing your pictures I see that you are making very good progress. Your open bite has already closed quite a lot.
What is the intrusion appliance actually like? Does it have the same function as the TAD's?
I understand that you are feeling a guinea pig sometimes, but on the other side you are avoiding surgery which is great!
The elastics are something to look forward to in the future, but it seems that you are making very good progress anyway!

ajs604

#63 Post by ajs604 »

Hi,

The intrusion appliance connects on my back molars with two brackets then extends towards the pallet where its fixed in place with a single TAD. The idea is that force generated from closing the jaw forces the molars up and hence reduces the open bite. Will post a picture soon, then you can see how it works.

At a later date I will then be having two further TAD's added on the lower jaw and elastics connected to them. I am presuming this is the most pleasant part of the treatment as have heard that elastics are a bit of nightmare!!

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#64 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Andy!

I read through your thread again: you are making so much progress!
And don't fear the elastics. I actually liked them (I don't have them yet but I surely will have them again in the future soon), because they bring great progress! And for me, they didn't really hurt and also were not too annoying, so it is not always bad to have elastics!

ajs604

#65 Post by ajs604 »

Just thought I would post a quick update for anyone who is interested.

I had my 7th adjustment yesterday cannot believe that it has been almost 7 months since I got braced. This year is flying by!

My open bite is now measuring in at around 2-2.5mm so there has already been a huge difference and I can now eat and chew much better than ever before. I had larger wires fitted on both upper and lower yesterday so am abit sore today and back on the soft food diet for a few days until things adjust. I have also had my intrusion device taken out and new moulds taken for a new one as the last one was pushing right up into my pallet and as the orthdontist said was well and truly spent. I go back next Thursday the 12th December when it shoulod be back from the lab for it to be fitted so between now and then I have no annoying device in my upper pallet (I had actually got used to it), so hopefully my open bite will not relapse between now and then. Will update more soon with photos.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#66 Post by Anna5 »

Wow, your open bite is only 2-2.5 mm now, that is amazing!!!! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

dono

#67 Post by dono »

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Mrs v

#68 Post by Mrs v »

Thanks for posting your story. I'm about to embark on a similar journey but am in limbo awaiting to hear back from the orthodontist. Although I get the impression that I may need several opinions before I fully make one.i am thinking surgery may have to be the answer for me. My open bite has been there for a bout a year and I stupidly didn't think it'd be a problem until I read online. I also think it may have got worse in last few months due to mouth guard. Anyway I read your story yesterday which made me join this site. Await to hear more news( hopefully positive) fro you.

Good luck

ajs604

#69 Post by ajs604 »

Mrs v wrote:Thanks for posting your story. I'm about to embark on a similar journey but am in limbo awaiting to hear back from the orthodontist. Although I get the impression that I may need several opinions before I fully make one.i am thinking surgery may have to be the answer for me. My open bite has been there for a bout a year and I stupidly didn't think it'd be a problem until I read online. I also think it may have got worse in last few months due to mouth guard. Anyway I read your story yesterday which made me join this site. Await to hear more news( hopefully positive) fro you.

Good luck

Hi Mrs V,

I hope you have had some favourable news from your Ortho. I sought 3-4 different opinions and they all said surgery. However, my current ortho was sure they could improve my open bite (maybe not completly) but considerably, which I am content with. The risks of surgery are far too great in my opinion. I went for an adjustment yesterday (I need to update with pics and will do next week), and the ortho was saying they expect to get closure, I still have another 16-17 months of treatment to go so, its very early days. Whatever you do get a few opnions and go wi th what you are most comfortable with, thats the best advice I can give you. Stay in touch as I would be keen to follow your progress.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#70 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Andy,

What a wonderful news that you will probably get complete closure of your open bite without surgery, I am so happy for you!
I think that sometimes ortho's recommended surgery a bit too easily, it is a safe way out for them. The non surgical route may be less predictable (and therefore they may not recommend it), but can also give great results and you are a wonderful example of this.
Good luck with your treatment. I am already looking forward to seeing your progress pictures!

Greetings from Anna

ajs604

#71 Post by ajs604 »

Hi, all just wanted to share a picture of my progress. This is my eight month of treatment and the orthodontist is very pleased with my progress. I had the intrusion device removed for a couple of weeks over Christmas as I had to have a new one made at the lab. During this time there was no rentention of the open bite so progress remained static, which was very positive. The reason for the new intrusion device was because the old one was starting to push up into my pallet.

As you can see my open bite continues to close (see previous pictures), although the left side is taking slightly longer and this was because the elastics holding it in place broke between adjustments and I didnt get it fixed (silly me). The orthdontist is very excited about my progress and we are hoping for complete closure bearing in mind I still have another 20 months of treatment to go. I am definately able to eat much better and feel more confident when I smile. Thats all for now will update again soon. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

Anna5

#72 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Andy!

Wat a great progress!!! Your open bite has closed so much! I am happy too that you can eat better now and feel more confident to smile. Seeing your progress over the past eight months, I think there is a great chance that you will get complete closure. That would be so great if this can all be done without surgery! Your story is really very inspiring for all of us who declined surgery.
I wish you very good luck with your treatment. I am always looking forward to your updates!

Anna

cs2thecox

#73 Post by cs2thecox »

I'm on a similar journey too, but with linguals.
I didn't want jaw surgery because of the recovery time plus the cost. It's also mostly cosmetic for me, so I thought major surgery would be a step too far.

I didn't manage to take any pictures before I started (oops) although my ortho has the official ones that I can try and get hold of.
I'm about 10 weeks in, and my open bite has come down to less than half of what it was, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Nice to know there are other people going through the same!

ajs604

#74 Post by ajs604 »

Thanks guys and I will also follow your progress and wish you the best of luck.

1st adjustment 2/07/13

jenrocks4

#75 Post by jenrocks4 »

Congratulations on your progress. I hope you keep getting great results!