open bite progress after 7 months

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bikerchick85

Re: open bite progress after 7 months

#16 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Anna5 wrote:That wire sounds good, Bickerchick. I may ask my ortho about it!

You honestly think my teeth don't look that bad? And that I don't need surgery to get a good result (as initially recommended)? I am particularly worried about my crossbite, narrow and canted upper jaw. On the other side, the crossbite is in the back (at my molars) and that't not too visible, so who cares (apart from myself) if it won't be completely corrected? Surgery still scares me very much and my ortho first wants to see how much he can improve without surgery.

I want to thank you all very much for your kind and encouraging replies. It means so, so much for me, as I am still feeling self conscious and worrying a lot about my teeth. I am sure I couldn't cope with this all without all your loving support.This forum is such a great place to share our stories, but also our struggles and insecurities. No matter how bad the teeth are, we are here not to judge or laugh at each other, but to lovingly support each other on our journeys, and that is so wonderful!
I'm no ortho but I think you'll have a great result. I'm surprise your bite closed up that much in 7 months. I would think your ortho would be pleasantly surprised as well! The upper jaw problem is hard to notice in pictures. I'd ask yourself if you will be pleased without surgery. I'd say if your results are satisfactory to yourself and functional in the ortho's eyes, I would say leave it be. It's too early to tell now, but they look fantastic. I'm sure you've seen worse cases than yours have a good result without surgery. Keep your heads up and try to focus on other things. That was the best thing I did. I kind of forget I have braces now. I'm just letting it ride. My one year anniversary is around the corner and I feel like I just got them. Maybe ask your ortho what he thinks about your progress and ask if he thinks surgery is still a possibility. It might give you some peace of mind to hear his response :P

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Anna5

#17 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you so much, Bickerchick, for your kind and encouraging reply. I think that is a very good advise to try to focus on other things, to just let it ride. I still find this very hard but I will try to because it is so essential for my happiness to just relax a bit about this!
I think my ortho is also quite happy with my results. At least at my last consultation this week, he was very happy with the improvement of my crossbite. So I should be happy as well!

Anna5

#18 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

Today I had an appointment with my ortho to talk about my progress and he thinks surgery for my crossbite or any other surgery is not necessary anymore, or at least it is not worth the risk of complications ed. However, my upper jaw will always remain narrow, there is nothing more he can do about this. And he also cannot widen my smile more with braces, because it has already widenened a lot.

My original sentence was 9 months in braces. I have been in braces for 9 months now and I will be in braces for another 6-9 months. So I am going over my orginal estimate, but I am totally fine with this.

I hope he is right that I will get an acceptable result without surgery and then I should have peace with this (that I will never get a perfect smile, just a 'good' smile. ). Or should I go for a second opinion? What do you think?

Do you think my smile is 'acceptable'? How obvious is my narrow upper jaw? How obvious is the cant in my upper jaw? And how obvious is my midline shift? But maybe I should relax about the latter, because I still have months to go!

But I should not only complain and worry, I must add that I am very happy with the huge progress I have made in these first 9 months!

Anna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrs v

#19 Post by Mrs v »

Hi

Just wanted to thank you for your support earlier. Lovely to read your positive story although I can't see the pics yet, judging by people's comments you're making fab progress.

Mrs v

#20 Post by Mrs v »

Hi can now see the pics. You mouth looks great. Great to know done without surgery although think this is perhaps the route I may have to take.

Ellabelle

#21 Post by Ellabelle »

Your smile is looking absolutely fantastic, girl!! Awesome progress!!

playmaker7206

#22 Post by playmaker7206 »

I have a 5mm open bite, and will begin my journey at the end of the month to get it corrected with braces and TADs. I will be posting photos and progress as my orthodontist takes the pics at each visit.

Anna5

#23 Post by Anna5 »

Thanks for your compliments, Mrs V and Ellabelle. I wish I could see my teeth this way. I still see all the imperfections, but you really think they look great?

Welcome to this forum, Playmaker7206! I am looking forward to you sharing your pictures and journey with us. I am happy that you are able to avoid surgery, and I hope you will get a great result with braces asnd TADs. Good luck with your treatment!

SunshineRay

#24 Post by SunshineRay »

just remember Anna....people can choose to skip your pics if they dont really think youve had great progress. If someone goes out of their way to give you a compliment then they really mean it. :D (telling myself this too)

Anna5

#25 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you, Sunshineray, for your very wise comment. I think I still have a way to go to really accept a compliment, to really believe that I made made great progress and that my teeth are not too bad anymore (or even fine!) :)

Anna5

#26 Post by Anna5 »

Hello!

I am going for a second opinion on Thursday with an oral surgeon. Just want to know whether my jaw clicking (my jaw clicks every time I eat or open my mouth) is a serious problem or not and what should be done to fix this. I also want his opinion about my teeth/ jaw and whether he thinks surgery is necessary for health and/or esthetic reasons. I am very scared for this appointment, about what he is going to say.....
But maybe I should keep in mind all your positive comments here on the forum, that my teeth/ jaws are not TOO bad. And maybe I should just trust my ortho that he thinks I can get a good result without surgery and is it despair that drives me to the surgeon?. But my mind is still not at ease, especially because of the jaw clicking, therefore I thought I want a second opinion....

Anna5

#27 Post by Anna5 »

I had an appointment with the surgeon today and he said I don't need surgery! He thinks my jaw problems/malloclusion are too small to talke the risk of surgery and he is confident that my ortho can give me a good bite with braces only. He said I am lucky, that the braces probably did a much better job than the ortho initially expected.

My upper jaw is a bit narrow, but not so narrow that he thinks it is not worth doing SARPE. And my ortho has almost corrected my crossbite, which is good.

The surgeon also said that surgery not always takes away TMJ problems (as was common thought in the past), but may as well cause it. He expects the jaw clicking to get better when my braces are getting off. Sometimes jaw clicking gets worse with braces (my case) and then it will get better as soon as they are off. Anyway, I will go back to the surgeon after my braces are off and then we will see if there is still something that needed to be done to protect my jaw joints, eg another referral to the jaw fysiotherapist to make sure that I open my mouth symmetrically.

I so much hope this all will give me the peace I am longing for. That I am not longer so self conscious about my teeth. When both my ortho and the surgeon say that I am fine, then it must be true! I want to thank you all for your loving support. I am sure I wouldn't have coped without this forum!

SunshineRay

#28 Post by SunshineRay »

Yay, I'm glad that you heard what we said and also the same thing from a professional! I hope that gives you much peace :D

Anna5

#29 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you, Sunshineray, for your kind message and for all the loving support you are giving me. That means a lot for me.
How are you doing?

TheKT

#30 Post by TheKT »

Wow! great progress. Gives me hope.