Why does my wire come out?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason

Why does my wire come out?

#1 Post by Jason »

Wow. I've had a lot more problems and questions for you guys than I expected :(.

I have Damon 3 braces on my bottom teeth. Since I got them a few weeks ago, every now and then while eating, the wire would get bent outwards from the second-to-last bracket. I don't understand why there isn't something holding the wire in on this bracket like on all the others (they all look the same except the very last brackets on each side). I dealt with it by just pushing the wire back and then it would snap back into place. Is this even normal?

Today, though, I was eating and the wire came all the way out of the end of the last bracket on the right. This is a different-looking bracket with no ceramic. This time I "fixed" it by sliding the wire underneath the last bracket. While typing this, I accidentally took it out again with my tongue, so this can't be right..

Of course, I don't really know what I'm doing, and I'm quite confused. Are things supposed to be this loose on the last 2 brackets on just one side of my mouth? Or is something broken? Any ideas...thanks!

Wingnut

#2 Post by Wingnut »

Jason,

I went through something similar. My last two molars on the lower right are at such odd angles that it creates a long, unsupported space along the wire from bracket to bracket. Since this is my only chewing side, the food gets packed in there pretty good and it was such a flimsy wire that it would just pop out of the last bracket every time I ate. I needed the flimsy wire due to having to realign collapsed bicuspids. After about 6 months of this I all but begged the ortho to change the wire to something heavier. He did, and it hasn't happened since.

shinyam

#3 Post by shinyam »

Somethng is definitely not right. You should see your ortho as soon as you can to get it fixed.

Jason

#4 Post by Jason »

Hmmm. Ok, I decided that it couldn't really be all that complicated and managed to finagle with it until I got the wire back into the last bracket which put it in all of them so that it feels tighter now.

Is there anything more to this such that I should still drive down to see my ortho before my next appointment? Or will things work as long as the wire is in? Heh.. geez :/

ronni

#5 Post by ronni »

I had the same problem with my wire coming out in the same place. After having it fixed twice, they finally changed out the wire completely, that was yesterday morning, so I don't know yet if that is going to fix it, but so far, so good.

Attagirl2

#6 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Jason. It sounds like what Wingnut experienced. If you can, pay attention to when it comes out. You will probably find you were chewing something that compacted around and under the wire. You should be fine if you can put it back in the bracket. I have Damon 3's too with a different last bracket. They said that they use a different bracket that is bigger so more adhesive can be used to attach it to the molar.

If you are still having this problem at your next appointment, maybe they can put in a new wire an bend the ends down so that it can't completely come out. (Just a thought)
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

eurydice

#7 Post by eurydice »

Hi I carry a pair of tweezers around in case the wire pops out, I just put it back in the last bracket. Since I got power chains which cover the wire at the back up, it has stopped popping out but before this it would come out on one side every time I ate!!! So don't worry but do ask your ortho if it keeps happening
Euryxx
Braced 3 May 2005