Might start treatment and not sure how to tell parents

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sara2280

Might start treatment and not sure how to tell parents

#1 Post by sara2280 »

Hi all! I am 33 years old and sort of surprised to find myself heading to the orthodontist office at this point in my life. I had braces as a kid from 5th-8th grade and then my bottom teeth retreated 10 years ago. I thought I was done with all of this...until I went to a dentist that kept trying to get me to do Invisalign for my open bite. I knew I had an open bite but he never explained more than that so I always thought he was trying to run up the bill. My teeth were straight but I always knew it was there. In my frustration of his continuous Invisalign talk I switched dentists to a friend of mine that I trust. Upon her examination she looked at my bite in-depth and explained what was exactly going on with my bite. This was a first to me. She said that due to my open bite and slight cross bite on my left, that I was causing excessive wear on my back teeth and will eventually lead to my back teeth breaking down and causing all sorts of other problems. She also is an Invisalign provider but said that for my case she would suggest traditional orthodontics. She made the referral and so I made an appointment. The ortho told me I had beautiful teeth but my dentist hit the nail on the head. In my follow up consult he showed me a mold my teeth and a mold of perfect teeth. I could see the differences. The never knew that I had a cross bite one the left. He said the right side of my teeth are perfect, proper alignment and everything, the left not so much. My back teeth on my upper left are actually in more than the bottoms so I am hit the tops of my molars together instead of hitting top to groove like it does on the right. Add in the open bite and makes a mix of a lot of pressure and excessive wear on my molars. Ortho recommended clear braces top and bottom with elastics for 12-18 months. Total cost for treatment is $5500. Same week as my consultation appointment I also got laid off from my job. A lot to take in over a week. Ortho said to call and schedule when I am ready and they will get my all hooked up. I was surprised how fast this could all take place. I almost want to go ahead and get everything started before I start a new job but then there is the uncertainty of not having a job and paying for it down the road.

Hubby is supportive and so is my best friend. The issue at this point is figuring out the money situation. Also, I feel weird telling my parents or family. I think they are the ones I worry most about telling or explaining this too. I almost feel slightly guilty because my parents did pay for braces for me when I was a kid. I don't want them to think they spent the money for nothing. I am not sure they would understand as I have straight teeth already! Any ideas on how to broach the subject?

Thank you!
Sara2280

Consult Appointment: Jan 2, 2013 Braces Start Date:????

Snowglobe32

Re: Might start treatment and not sure how to tell parents

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

First, sorry about getting laid off. I am sure that is a difficult situation to be dealing with but also, one that isn't permanent! :D

Well, most people think "straight" teeth = perfect teeth. What they don't realize is that, bite is much more important than teeth being straight.

You can explain to people that you have issues that can cause serious future complications if they are not fixed. Explain what a cross bite it, tell them why it is important to have a proper bite. I also has a crossbite and had migraines for years and within a month of having braces, my migraines disappeared. I still get an occasional "normal" headache but it is nothing like a migraine.

Can I ask why you don't plan on waiting until you are employed to get braces? I got braced at 33 and my dental insurance covered $1500.00 of the cost. It might be worth it to wait. I am not sure dental insurance will cover braces placed before insurance begins. Plus, the stress of worrying about the payment will be less once you start working again. I know some orthos will stop treating a patient if they get too far behind in payments and some will take the braces off all together if they can't pay.

Good luck!

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

sara2280 wrote:Hubby is supportive and so is my best friend. The issue at this point is figuring out the money situation. Also, I feel weird telling my parents or family. I think they are the ones I worry most about telling or explaining this too. I almost feel slightly guilty because my parents did pay for braces for me when I was a kid. I don't want them to think they spent the money for nothing. I am not sure they would understand as I have straight teeth already! Any ideas on how to broach the subject?
I agree with Snowglobe's comments on payments and whatnot, so I won't get into that.

I wanted braces to fix crooked teeth so I could stop covering my mouth when I smile, but I also had some bite issues that sound pretty similar to yours. You'll always get people who need to ask why you're doing it and I've found it's easier to say something like, "my jaw has been popping because my bite is off so my dentist wanted me to get braces," rather than getting into your own personal reasons (although your parents should understand).
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

sara2280

#4 Post by sara2280 »

Thank you snowglobe32 and chichi for your replies!

As for waiting until I find a job, that is probably when I will call and make the appointment. I have dental insurance now under my husband as with all of our benefits so that is either here nor there. We are trying to figure out if we have any adult Ortho coverage. Ortho's office is checking too. We just switched dental insurances and it just went into effect January 1, so no one is sure at the moment.

As for explaining it to people, it is what it is. I know the 3 people that will ask the most questions are my children. They are 6,4, and 2. And they are kids...it's what they do! They will actually probably be the ones to do most of the telling too I'm sure. Just not sure my parents will get it.

I just want to get started so I can get it over with. Plus, my thought is that with starting a new job, if I start with them from the beginning then It seems like I have had them for awhile and there's not much to explain I guess? Plus, I know My teeth are going to be sore for a couple days and I am off now...hopefully not long. But think it might be easier to deal now, then having to cope at a newjob with newly installed braces. I don't know. I guess I'm anxious about the whole thing.

My guess, is that I will call and make the install appointment when I have a definite start date for a new job and try to squeeze in before that time. I'll keep you posted as things pan out! Thank you for the support!

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

Unless your career is "professional food taster" I don't see any reason to try and cram in braces before your new job. Even bad braces pain is rarely disabling. For most people at it's worst it makes eating solid foods painful. Usually the remaining pain can be successfully dulled with Advil (at perhaps over the OTC dosage.)

sara2280

#6 Post by sara2280 »

Today was a big day! I talked to my mom and let her know that I needed braces again. She was totally supportive and understood. We talked about all the possibilities. I also talked to the office about financial arrangements and it seems like everything is going to work out! I also got scheduled for my install. So as of next Thursday the 16th I will be all hooked up and on my way. Crazy how fast this seems to be coming together! Thank you for all the replies! I am excited and nervous to get started. This New year is definitely a new beginning for me! Love 2014!