Adjustments for elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheKT

Adjustments for elastics?

#1 Post by TheKT »

I have elastics and am 3 days in. The elastics are rubbing up against my cheeks and cutting in and creating sores. One side is worse than the other. Can the ortho make adjustments to help ease this or do you just have to get used to it? Thanks!

sirwired

Re: Adjustments for elastics?

#2 Post by sirwired »

Not really, no. Just about everybody gets sores at some point in the treatment process. You can try wax, but I'm not sure how well it will stay since the elastics will be moving around underneath it.

If I were in your place, I'd stick to my own "my braces are irritating" formula of warm salt-water rinses, Gly-Oxide, and Rincinol.

FireFinder

#3 Post by FireFinder »

I have just started with elastics on Dec. 9th. Have the "Manatees" in a box configuration on 4-7 top/bottom on left, and 4-6 top/4-7 bottom on right. I don't have brackets on top right #7 or top left #6 because those have gold crowns, and the ortho elected to not band them. I find my mouth gets dry but not so irritated.

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

I've noticed that the brackets the elastics are hooked onto can become more irritating. Are you sure the elastics are what's causing the irritation and not the brackets? Sometimes I think a bracket or hook on one tooth is causing discomfort, but then I'll explore and find it's coming from nowhere near the tooth I was expecting.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

You can use Benzodent. It is a paste like material that will cover the sores until they heal. Usually things are better after one use. You can find it at any drugstore. Apply it with a q-tip and it will stay in place even on the insides of you cheeks.

TheKT

#6 Post by TheKT »

Thanks so much for all the support and tips.

BracesB4Thirty

#7 Post by BracesB4Thirty »

TheKT almost everyone gets mouth sores at some point in time of their treatment. Use wax and a salt water rinse to help.

Lorianne

#8 Post by Lorianne »

TheKT wrote:I have elastics and am 3 days in. The elastics are rubbing up against my cheeks and cutting in and creating sores. One side is worse than the other. Can the ortho make adjustments to help ease this or do you just have to get used to it? Thanks!
Mine were pinching my cheeks and hurting really bad too. I started twisting the elastics one time, making an X then attaching to the hook and that helped tremendously.

TheKT

#9 Post by TheKT »

Lorianne, thatis exacty the problem I am experiencing. Thanks for the tip.

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

TheKT wrote:Lorianne, thatis exacty the problem I am experiencing. Thanks for the tip.
Hope it helps!

chichi

#11 Post by chichi »

Lorianne wrote:Mine were pinching my cheeks and hurting really bad too. I started twisting the elastics one time, making an X then attaching to the hook and that helped tremendously.
When I got my class III elastics, the assistant actually put them in that way. I don't twist them and I just assumed they got twisted when she was putting them in since it doesn't really matter with that configuration. Maybe she did it so I wouldn't get pinched...
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054