Afraid

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pearlywhite

Afraid

#1 Post by Pearlywhite »

Hello there. I live in a tiny island in the Caribbean (Trinidad). I am considering getting braces, I am not so afraid about the pain associated with the braces but what I am afraid of is that I will have to remove my wisdom teeth and I am sure that hurts a whole lot. On top of that I have gum disease that gets better and then returns. :(

Any experiences with braces in Trinidad? Cost? Recommendations?

Thanks a lot. :)

Snowglobe32

Re: Afraid

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Hello there,

My mother is from Trinidad but hasn't been back since she left at 17. She is 68 now. :(

I had a wisom tooth removed this year, and I have had other teeth extracted in the past...the wisdom was by far the easiest. Mine were not impacted so it was a quick 20 second extraction. I actually think the shots and numbing procedure is the worst of it when it comes to teeth being extracted.

Mine healed very quickly and I was given 15 pain pills and used only one just to see if it did anything.

My situation may not be the typical situation but don't let the "pain" keep you out of braces.

Good luck!

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

I don't want to scare you, but I had my wisdom teeth out about 7 years ago and I'm pretty sure my braces pain has been worse than the wisdom tooth pain. I had all 4 teeth removed at the same time with local anesthetic (awake for the procedure) and they gave me a powerful prescription painkiller to take afterwards. I only took half of a dose the day of the extractions and just used regular Tylenol for the next day or two, but even the Tylenol wasn't completely necessary. If you find a good oral surgeon, the extractions will be a piece of cake.

Good luck with your journey! Keep us updated!
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

I had my wisdom teeth out summer 2012 under local anaesthetic (I was 42). One was impacted and was a surgical extraction, the others were regular extractions. My dentist gave me painkillers but I didn't really need the painkillers after the first day. I had very little pain or swelling (the most painful part was the injections for the local anaesthetic). I put ice packs on my face afterwards and I think this really helped keep the swelling and pain down. I taught a university class 2 days after having them out and nobody noticed anything -I also had a health check that day and the doctor was amazed I looked so well...he asked for the name of my dentist.

I've also had very little pain or discomfort with my braces. Occasional rubbing but wax solves this.

Not everyone has a terrible experience with wisdom teeth extraction or pain with braces.

rocker

#5 Post by rocker »

good luck!

Chicken

#6 Post by Chicken »

I had two wisdom teeth out years ago and he broke my jaw, that was some serious pain. Braces are a walk in the park in comparison.

plugnickel69

#7 Post by plugnickel69 »

I had no pain a all with my braces, only very minor discomfort once in a while the first few weeks. That said, it is different for everyone. Good luck to you.