Why ceramic on top and metal on bottom?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

librarianlk

Why ceramic on top and metal on bottom?

#1 Post by librarianlk »

Hi, I've got my consultation with the orthodontist in a couple of days. It seems like most people who get ceramics end up with metal on the bottom. What is the most common reason for that? Is it because the bottom teeth are less noticeable, so metal won't make much of an appearance issue if they're used there, or is there a different reason those typically are used on the bottom? Thanks for any info you all have out there!

NeilH

Re: Why ceramic on top and metal on bottom?

#2 Post by NeilH »

Hi, I understand some ceramic brackets are harder than enamel so there is a greater risk of chipping your teeth than on metal brackets which, strange as it may seem, are not as hard and less likely to cause unwanted damage. Maybe worth discussing the options with your orthodontist as I'm sure it would be possible to use bite turbo's or molar buildups to stop your top teeth hitting your lower brackets if you choose ceramic.

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

I was offered all ceramic (extra cost, obviously), but I chose ceramic on top and metal on bottom because my lower teeth are generally less visible and therefore it wasn't worth it to me to spend more money on lower ceramics.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

I have ceramic on the top and bottom. My ortho shaved down the bottom brackets to prevent chipping my upper teeth.

WiredOldLady

#5 Post by WiredOldLady »

I have ceramic on top and metal on the bottom...mostly because when I smile you don't see my bottom teeth. If I had to do it over, I'd do metal on top and bottom but its too late now.
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

fudge911

#6 Post by fudge911 »

I was also offered ceramics at my consultation and the lady said that having ceramics on the bottom would mean that the top arch may hit the bottom arch since ceramics are bigger than normal metal braces. Currently I have all metal though, didn't want to pay extra for ceramics considering people could still see it.

MrsCharisma

#7 Post by MrsCharisma »

My ortho is one that won't put ceramics on the lower teeth, due to the potential of damaging the upper teeth.

I have ceramic on top on all except for my molars, my ortho did not charge me extra.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]