Canine substitution and underbite??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kevin1234

Canine substitution and underbite??

#1 Post by kevin1234 »

So I am planning on getting braces within a month or two, and I've already consulted with an oral surgeon along with 4 orthodontists, because this has really been worrying me. What canine substitution basically is is when you're congenitally missing your upper lateral incisors, the canine teeth are moved into their spots and shaved down to look like incisors. That part is pretty straight forward, though I also have an anterior crossbite, or an underbite. most of the orthodontists said that I should get two teeth extracted from the bottom to camouflage the underbite or have lower jaw surgery, though they didn't recommend it. One other orthodontist also gave me the option of extractions, or double jaw surgery, though he didn't know for sure that it would be double. I've talked to the oral surgeon as well, and he said that it would be easier to do lower jaw surgery rather than double or upper, along with the fact that my lower jaw is also "crooked". I was also given reports of the findings of both the orthodontist and oral surgeon, and one thing I noticed is that they both wrote that I have a mildly recessed midface, which I think makes sense due to the fact that I am missing these two teeth. Along with this, I have been a mouth breathing all my life and as a result of this, my face is quite long and flat. I recently made a conscious effort to stop my mouth breathing habit as well even though I know no bone changes will happen. I am really conflicted on what to do; I have a bit of a lisp and now that I've tried to stop my mouth breathing habit, I've noticed that my tongue seems a bit big for my upper jaw, and I'm worried about what will happen if the spaces are closed on my top jaw and 2 teeth extracted from my bottom. I also have a bit of a recessive chin, though it's not extreme. Along with this my bottom lip is quite prominent, though my upper lip is pretty short and small. Another thing I noticed is that I have pretty deep nasolabial folds, which I'm concerned might be the result of a recessed upper jaw. Has anyone gone through anything similar to this? What is worrying me most is that my mouth won't have enough room for my tongue anymore or that my chin will look to recessive as a result of bottom extractions. I don't know if I'm overthinking it or not anymore and I don't really know what to do at this point...

kevin1234

Re: Canine substitution and underbite??

#2 Post by kevin1234 »

I should also note that all my teeth line up and hit at the right places, though my bottom teeth are off center by about an entire tooth. It seems my underbite or anterior crossbite is there because I'm missing my upper laterals

kevin1234

Re: Canine substitution and underbite??

#3 Post by kevin1234 »

I've also asked about getting implants for the missing teeth, but all the orthodontists said it was out of the question since there was not enough room in my upper jaw.