55 y/o and New to site with questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dilynn1958

55 y/o and New to site with questions

#1 Post by dilynn1958 »

I am 55 y/o and after having a lower bicuspid broke off 4 years ago, I was warned that I would need some type of orthodontics to help stabilize any motion from my bottom jaw. I should have listened back then as I would be done by now. Oh well. Bit of history..this is my 2nd round, I had a repaired cleft palate and my jaw is very small. Went to a couple of consultations a couple of years ago and I am not sure why (maybe work) I dropped the subject.
Forward to now. I have decided to jump into it. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can shed some information on.
Ortho number 1 was very nice older man he wants to do ceramic on top and metal on bottom. In a few months will be looking into possible jaw surgery. When I asked about Damon SL all he said well it is just a brand and really didn't mention it any further. Well after looking on this board and other places, I called him today and he told me if I wanted clear SL he could order them and do them. He did say he doesn't do them much. That has me concerned.
I am going to have 2 other consults. I ortho uses Damon Clear which I want to explore. I am hoping he can advise more on jaw surgery. The 3rd ortho I had seen before, we decided on ceramics and metal. That was before I did more research into SL. I noted that on his website that he uses a Herbst device to help the jaw. This ortho seems very up to date as compared to the first one.

Any thoughts? SL verses traditional? D/t my age and job I like the idea of SL. Should I go to an Ortho that does SL more than "a few times". I am scheduled for braces on Jan 30th. I may have to put it off until I make an informed selection.
Sorry for long post. Thoughts please..Thanks

Tlal23

Re: 55 y/o and New to site with questions

#2 Post by Tlal23 »

Hi sorry I don't really have any advice as I'm new to all this but just wanted to acknowledge your post.
I personally would be going to someone that is experienced with SL because I think I've heard they can be hard to get off?

I have SL empower braces, clear top and metal bottom.

dilynn1958

#3 Post by dilynn1958 »

Thanks very much for the response. That is what I am thinking the same thing. I am going for 2nd consult tomorrow. He is listed on the Damon site as a provider..

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

Damon is the whole system, not just the SL brackets. I would recommend choosing an orthodontist based on his/her qualifications and experience, rather than bracket type. My orthodontist showed me before and after pictures of his own patients that had some of the same issues as I do. So I got to see what he was able to do with actual people and not just those standard Damon stock photos.

I also believe there is a slight learning curve with the Damons, so if you are 100% set on Damons, I probably wouldn't trust the guy who says he "doesn't do them much," although he may be a great ortho when he gets to use the brackets/wires of his choosing.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054