Advice needed: Any orthodontist available?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiresoff

Advice needed: Any orthodontist available?

#1 Post by wiresoff »

Hi all

I had Damon braces for about 18 months. I am 53. My braces were removed and a couple of snaggle teeth have been improved but I am unhappy with the overall outcome.

My teeth have always been angulated inwards. To be honest, apart from the snaggle teeth, they look just as angulated.

I spoke to my orthodontist and he said that it would not be possible to get them vertical and talked above my head about how there was an 8 degrees play in the braces setup etc. Not having the expertise, I wasn't sure what was what. I left not knowing if he was truthful or whether I should expect vertical teeth (they certainly WERE vertical midway through the treatment).

I want to make a formal complaint if I am justified in doing so as these braces cost $6000. If anybody knows enough about these things I would be appreciative for guidance. Can get images of before, during and after.

chichi

Re: Advice needed: Any orthodontist available?

#2 Post by chichi »

I'm honestly going to be of very little help here, but I'm confused. Are your teeth still tilted inwards or are they now flaring out?.

On the Ormco website in the section on selective torques, there is a statement that says:

To best utilize the clinical advantage of passive self-ligation brackets, it is strongly recommended not to exceed .019 x .025 archwire dimension in an .022 bracket slot. This needed play allows for 7° of torque play in both directions.

So this might be where your ortho's 8 degrees play comes in.

http://www.ormco.com/products/damon/edu ... orques.php
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

wiresoff

#3 Post by wiresoff »

Sorry for any confusion. My teeth WERE angled inwards - that's why I had the braces. During treatment they became vertical but at the end of treatment (at debonding) they were once again largely indistinguishable from the original (i.e. tilted inwards). I thought the idea was for people to have straight teeth.

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

It's about straight teeth, but it's also about correct jaw alignment and proper bite.

Regardless, it's clear you aren't happy with the results. I would start with the ortho who did the work since you already put the time and money into it. I'm not sure how your conversation with him went except that he wasn't making it clear enough for a non-ortho. Perhaps you could try to schedule an appointment for further discussion and ask him to explain it in layman's terms.

If that gets you nowhere or you are still not satisfied with the answers, you could consult with another ortho and discuss your concerns. That would give you a better idea of how realistic your goals are and you can determine whether your original ortho was giving you the runaround.

There is an ortho on the boards who will sometimes respond to threads, but it's still going to be hard for him to give you a definitive answer without a full in-person examination.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

chichi gave the exact advice that I was going to. Good luck!