Wisdom teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Matilda

Wisdom teeth

#1 Post by Matilda »

Hey guys! Is it wise to have wisdom teeth extracted while having braces? Do such extractions cause misalignments? Thanks!

agrace90

Re: Wisdom teeth

#2 Post by agrace90 »

I don't know about during treatment but I was told by multiple dentists/orthodontist that I needed to have mine removed prior to starting braces. Probably a lot of it had to do with the severe overcrowding I've had. I think it's smart step to take because you paid so much to have straight teeth and then the wisdom teeth come through and can change your bite and results. Just my personal opinion. I would go through with it.

Matilda

#3 Post by Matilda »

agrace90 wrote:I think it's smart step to take because you paid so much to have straight teeth and then the wisdom teeth come through and can change your bite and results. Just my personal opinion. I would go through with it.
Exactly my thoughts, agrace90. Well, all my wisdom teeth are fully erupted already so my only concern is whether will these extractions damage my 13+ month progress and mess up my fairly aligned arches?!

ThroughTheWire

#4 Post by ThroughTheWire »

I had my wisdom teeth extracted after I had braces. It was pretty early on though, I got braces at the very beginning of March and wisdom teeth extracted on April 20ish.

I think that was a really bad decision for me though because I was JUST getting over the pain & un comfort of having braces and transitioning back to normal food and then I got my wisdom teeth removed and kind of had to start all over again. Worst two months of my life really.

As far as misalignment goes, I think it may make a difference because my ortho strongly urged I get them removed as soon as possible for that reason. It probably varies case by case though.

Matilda

#5 Post by Matilda »

ThroughTheWire wrote:As far as misalignment goes, I think it may make a difference because my ortho strongly urged I get them removed as soon as possible for that reason. It probably varies case by case though.
What do you think could possibly happen to my remaining teeth after the removal? Malocclusion? Spacing?

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

Matilda wrote:
ThroughTheWire wrote:As far as misalignment goes, I think it may make a difference because my ortho strongly urged I get them removed as soon as possible for that reason. It probably varies case by case though.
What do you think could possibly happen to my remaining teeth after the removal? Malocclusion? Spacing?
I wouldn't worry about this at all. I got mine out years ago, but my ortho makes all of his younger patients get them out when they're 19-20 and for many of them, this is after treatment is finished. You're currently in braces so even on the off chance it does anything (which I really think it won't), you'll get it fixed now.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Gypsyphd

#7 Post by Gypsyphd »

Hi there. I would get them out now rather than later if at all possible. I am in braces for the second time partly because of issues with my wisdom teeth. I wish I had gotten mine out earlier. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your decision! :D

Matilda

#8 Post by Matilda »

chichi wrote:I wouldn't worry about this at all. I got mine out years ago, but my ortho makes all of his younger patients get them out when they're 19-20 and for many of them, this is after treatment is finished. You're currently in braces so even on the off chance it does anything (which I really think it won't), you'll get it fixed now.
Gypsyphd wrote:Hi there. I would get them out now rather than later if at all possible. I am in braces for the second time partly because of issues with my wisdom teeth. I wish I had gotten mine out earlier. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your decision! :D
Thanks for your advice and positivity, guys! One of my upper wisdom teeth is actually broken therefore I'd truly like to pull them all out before my orthodontic treatment ends. I can't wait to discuss this more in-depth with my orthodontist!

Matilda

#9 Post by Matilda »

Quick update. I finally scheduled an appointment with an oral surgeon earlier today. All 4 of my wisdom teeth will be removed on January 27. I'll keep you guys posted.

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

I got my ONE wisdom tooth out before braces. I don't have bottom ones and won't get them. I have one that is impacted but I was told it won't impact my braces and if it starts to come through then it will need to be taken out, so far, its just sitting there still. Its right on the sinus so they were reluctant to take it out as they could of damaged the sinus. so I am happy for it to stay there if need be!

ScouseMan

#11 Post by ScouseMan »

Good Luck on the extraction! Im pretty lucky to not have my wisdom teeth grow was told at my age its unlikely too.

Matilda

#12 Post by Matilda »

Another quick update. All 4 of my wisdom teeth were finally removed on Monday. The procedure was relatively rapid and slightly painful.

Matilda

#13 Post by Matilda »

ScouseMan wrote:Good Luck on the extraction! Im pretty lucky to not have my wisdom teeth grow was told at my age its unlikely too.
Thank you very much for the good luck, ScouseMan.

chichi

#14 Post by chichi »

Matilda wrote:Another quick update. All 4 of my wisdom teeth were finally removed on Monday. The procedure was relatively rapid and slightly painful.
Congrats! It's such a relief when it's over, isn't it? How are you doing with eating? I had all 4 of mine out years ago and I remember spending several days living on protein drinks (without a straw of course) and jello.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Matilda

#15 Post by Matilda »

chichi wrote:
Matilda wrote:Another quick update. All 4 of my wisdom teeth were finally removed on Monday. The procedure was relatively rapid and slightly painful.
Congrats! It's such a relief when it's over, isn't it? How are you doing with eating? I had all 4 of mine out years ago and I remember spending several days living on protein drinks (without a straw of course) and jello.
Hey chichi! I'm doing pretty good, thanks! :GapToothed: Yes, I'm unexplainably relieved those enormous teeth are lastly out of my mouth! All my remaining teeth seem pretty happy as well. I feel they want to party but they can't because they're still behind bars. :lol: As for the food, I'm surviving on soups, puddings and ice creams. Btw, dark chocolate Jell-Os are delicious! :oops: