Ligature question - confused

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheKT

Ligature question - confused

#1 Post by TheKT »

Was reading here that people are getting their ligs changed every appointment. In have Damon braces, do Damon's have ligs that require changing? Obviously I haven't been to my first adjustment apt yet :lol:

Nozzelnut

Re: Ligature question - confused

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Through the research I've been doing the last few days; Damon braces don't use ligatures. (At least the style I looked at on their website.)

That's why they say their braces move teeth faster; they say the ligatures stop the teeth moving along the wire because they're fixed to it with the ligature instead of sliding along it as the Damon's do.

I can't comment if they move teeth faster or not just going by what I read here and their website.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

beckyboo0205

#3 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Probably not... if you don't have them now. You probably have self-ligating braces which means that there are little doors on your brackets that open and close to hold your wire in. The other people with ligatures have to have the ligs to hold their wire in.

But you might have a powerchain at some point... which is kinda like ligatures but all connected in one long string of rubber.

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

TheKT wrote:Was reading here that people are getting their ligs changed every appointment. In have Damon braces, do Damon's have ligs that require changing? Obviously I haven't been to my first adjustment apt yet :lol:
No, Damons are self-ligating. We have little doors on our brackets that hold the wire in, so we don't need ligs.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

No ligatures on the Damons. As others mentioned there may be other fun accessories in your future -- the aptly-named power chains, elastics, and so forth. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying