Talk me out of doing it...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tqz

Talk me out of doing it...

#1 Post by Tqz »

I still haven't got braces yet, and I am very close to pulling the trigger. If you search my posts you will find that I have been nothing but a big chicken.

However, I have researched what feels likes all corners of the internet, and a large percentage of what I find, is actually positive. Nothing to worry about, best decision someone has ever made. No one regrets getting braces.

So... From your experience as actual braces wearers, talk me out of it. Don't worry, this is more of a devils advocate situation. I'm 90% sure I'm doing this, but I like to know as much as possible.

My biggest fear, is what others will think of me. Family, friends, and coworkers. I will be getting regular metal braces.

Thanks!!!

kathydell

Re: Talk me out of doing it...

#2 Post by kathydell »

I know you wanted to be talked out of it, but I can't do it. Best thing I ever did. Was always self conscious of my horribly crooked teeth and was never a big dentist fan anyway. I'm 10 months into treatment and couldn't be happier that at 47 I finally stopped being a chicken and did it. Anyone who notices gives me lots of kudos for doing it and many people ask questions because they have always wanted to do it but are nervous or afraid. I also do a lot of public speaking in my job and as long as I plan ahead (lip balm before), I have no issues at all. Yes, it will hurt sometimes. And, yes you will want to pull them off with the plyers at home yourself once in a while, but all in all totally worth it. Go for it!

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

I also can't talk you out of it. I already feel so much more confident in my smile and my bite has improved tremendously.

I guess I could tell you about how frustrating the first few weeks were because eating was tough, but that passes. I'm also not a fan of my elastics, but that's because people seem to stare at my mouth more since I've been in elastics... the elastics themselves aren't terrible and they're doing their jobs.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

So don't do it. With all due respect, at some point you are going to have to take charge. Orthodontics is a long, often hard road, and it is not for the faint of heart especially if you are extremely worried what others will think. I assume that most people are judging me on a daily basis regardless of the braces -- how I lead my teams, the decisions I make, the clothes I wear, the car I drive, and so forth. You are going to have to talk yourself into it. And you will. Now get going! :D
Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

ljms

#5 Post by ljms »

I can't talk you out of it either.

The response from my family, friends, and co-workers has been overwhelmingly positive. If anyone has had a negative thought, they haven't expressed it to me. And should that ever happen, I'll just consider the source. :)

Yes, there is pain occasionally and you will have frustrating days where you can't chew properly or at all. But you'll be amazed how fast your teeth change and how much better they look, even with braces on.

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

I can't because getting braces was one of the best things I ever did for myself! My only regret? Not getting them sooner!

sara2280

#7 Post by sara2280 »

Tqz,
I had the same concerns! I even had trouble telling my own kids! I knew I was going to get a lot of questions about my braces, I had straight teeth! Everyone asks me why. I then have to explain it is not an aesthetic issue, it's a medical one due to an open bite and cross bite. It was either fix my bite or eventually have my whole lower jaw shift forward due to my bite collapsing.

Over the past 2 weeks I have had people ask me but no one ever said anything negative. Everyone has been supportive and I find that it is more often my own insecurities that make me self conscious, not anything anyone has said or done. I feel like a kid again.

Whatever your reason, if you need braces, then you need braces. Take the plunge. There is no time like the present. Look at it this way, it is temporary. It is only a year or two in the span of your entire life. Small sacrifice to make to have healthy teeth that will last you a lifetime. And it will go by fast!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

kids041

#8 Post by kids041 »

Sorry- but like everyone else... I can't talk you out of it. Sure, there are hard days, but they pass just like "bad" days in our regular lives. It is the best thing I have done for myself lately. I am still in the straightening phase (even 6 months in), but as soon as they start working on my bite- I will see so much change! I can't wait.
I say go for it! I am a 44 y/o who has all metal braces and I even go so far as to get colored ligs!! I am not trying to hide my braces in the least, and I am having fun with it all. I figure if I have to have them- I might as well embrace them... (pun intended)
:)

msw

#9 Post by msw »

My ONLY complaint is that it took a couple of weeks for my mouth and lips to adjust to the larger-than-expected ceramic brackets on top. I guess also that it's more challenging now to kiss and engage in other intimate activities with my significant other, and it's a new relationship that began after the braces went on, so I'm still a little bit self-conscious of them around him.

Other than that - I am SO glad that I took the plunge and got braces. I don't regret the decision one bit. My bite will take a while to fix, but all of my teeth are now straight and I've already noticed significant improvement in my smile. Definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made.

:tingrin:

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

DON'T DO IT! You'll be sorry! You will regret it from the moment you step foot into the orthodontist's office. You'll have these big, honkin things on your teeth! You won't be able to eat ANYTHING! You'll lisp, you'll spit, you'll make those froggy faces trying to get your lip over your brackets. You'll feel self-conscious whenever you eat in public, you'll spend a fortune on wax, picks, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash. You'll look in the mirror constantly.

ok, so did that work? no? ok, good! Now hurry up and get it done! :-) you're not getting any younger!

MrsCharisma

#11 Post by MrsCharisma »

I have one better...

STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK!

Okay. yeah. They won't be there when you have additional oral problems and treatments and bills...!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

WiredOldLady

#12 Post by WiredOldLady »

Don't do it!!! You'll look like a goof with those things on your teeth especially when you pick your ligs to honor your favorite football team (GO BRONCOS!). Mashed potatoes will be your best friend and go-to meal and you'll lose at least 10 lbs in the first few months. Then you will get fitted with the dreaded molar bands and a wire going across where you're missing a tooth and food will get stuck in there and it will be IMPOSSIBLE to get it all out without sticking your fingers in your mouth and looking like my 16 month old grandson.

Its a screaming pain in the rear, expensive too!

Ok...did that work? I hope not! I got my braces in September and I don't really regret a thing (especially the weight loss!). My ortho is wonderful.
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

ST24085

#13 Post by ST24085 »

Why regular metal braces? Ceramic are only a slightly more expensive and in my opinion, well worth it. I went with traditional (not self ligating) ceramic on top, metal on bottom. I was a groomsman in a wedding and involved in two others this past summer and let's face it, the ceramic brackets are hardly noticeable in pictures at all! That was a big deal for me. You should definitely bring it up with the ortho however, that you want wire tires on your top front teeth if you're going to do this. Insist it. You're paying them thousands of dollars. They can take the time to tie your front six teeth. This makes a big difference with regards to staining. I'm a coffee addict and uppers are sparkly.

I'm a male 28, single, young professional , and to be honest, I was fairly worried how braces would affect me. I became slightly more relaxed when I started reading on these forums about how people were saying braces didn't affect their life at all. They were right. I/we have nothing to worry about! People do notice them, they are there after all. But actually I was surprised at how few didn't mention them at all when I first got them on! But seriously I really don't feel like anything has changed in the slightest with regards to my career or personal life.

How's that for talking you out of it? Haha.

Tqz

#14 Post by Tqz »

Well, as I suspected, no one has really talked me out of it... merely just reassured me, that as everyone KEEPS saying, they aren't that bad at all.

Its funny to me, that even those who 'try' to talk me out of it, make it sound so trivial to the point that they are struggling to even create a negative.

As for why I choose metal over ceramic... for me its a difference of 500 bucks. That is like 10% and I cant justify that. Point is, while you state that people WILL notice the braces, I think, why make the concentrate on what is on my teeth. So with metal, they notice it, I feel insecure, they ask questions, I justify it, and we move on. With ceramic, we just add some awkward staring at my mouth to the beginning of that process.... lol

At least that is how I picture this going down in my head.

If anyone else wants to try to talk me out of it go ahead. Lol.... so far you guys are convincing me more (what I really wanted)

catwanabee

#15 Post by catwanabee »

I too second the ceramic route but self litigating ones so that way you wont need to use ligatures (no need to worry about stains)+ your adjustments are way faster.

$500 over lets say 2 years is only $20 more per month and for $20 you wouldn't have to worry about stains + save time on your monthly adjustments, I say its well worth it.

Either way, good luck on your journey! =]

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46203
In Ovation-C Braces
Braced on Dec 2013 for 24 Months