Confused about my treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredinwinston

Confused about my treatment

#1 Post by wiredinwinston »

My ortho is a really well known dr, with a huge practice. most of his patients are kids, but then again what ortho's aren't....

anyway i got ceramics in feb 05 and then metal on the bottom about 2 months later...why i dont know cause tho bottom teeth were way worse off.

anyway, now he, or the crazy receptionists, schedule me to come back every 10-11 weeks! At first they told me 8 which i thought was long, but now its growing longer and longer! also, for the past two visits, he's done NOTHING to my top teeth. they look straight to me, but what do i know?

I asked the tech, are you not doing anything to the top, and they just say, "No."

Does anyone else have vists so far apart, should i be worried?

strugglebuggy

#2 Post by strugglebuggy »

In the beginning, mine were about 8 or 9 weeks apart.... and when I did go in, they only changed the ligs. they were waiting for my teeth to level out some before being able to move forward. I typically go in about every 6 weeks, but this time, they want me back in 4. I have coils in right now and they did their job, so I am guessing that is why they want me back so soon- just a guess. Hang in there, I'm sure you are doing fine. :)

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. Sometimes they do go 11-12 weeks, though not often - especially if you have self ligating braces. It is amazing how slow it seems to go for me. My teeth weren't that bad, but it has been 9 1/2 months so far and my top's are still trying to level out! It is actually better to move teeth slowly - it is better for the roots.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine, like Attagirl's, are Damon 3's so my adjustments are 10-12 weeks apart. What kind of braces do you have?

Yours may be self-ligating; they may be GAC-inovation, Damon 2 or 3's, or Viazi...there might be others, but I don't know their names. Self Ligating braces work for a longer period between adjustments so there is no need to see the ortho for normal adjustments more often than 10 weeks or so.

I have only gone in for 2 adjustments in 24 weeks and had the top wire changed out at the first then the bottom at the second. Seems really slow to me, but my ortho knows what he's doing. I am very happy with my progress!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

medictrina

#5 Post by medictrina »

My orthodontist told me to return in 8 weeks. I have crowding in the front of my lowers only and they put two seperate wires in. from my molars to my canines. I thought they would want me in sooner, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a long time between adjustments.

spragers

#6 Post by spragers »

Yikes, makes my once-every-4-weeks adjustments seem rather excessive! :)

Chocoholic

#7 Post by Chocoholic »

My adjustments have gone down to 3 weeks! But I don't always get new wires, just lig changes and a slight tightening.