Question about wisdom tooth & midline

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ambrosia80

Question about wisdom tooth & midline

#1 Post by Ambrosia80 »

I have had my braces for almost 8 months now (I have a "sentence" of 15-18 months), and something has really been bothering me. I only have one wisdom tooth on the bottom (the right one never existed), and it has caused my teeth to shift to the right. My midline on the bottom is way off. Before treatment, my ortho had me get two upper premolars extracted, but never said anything about bottom left wisdom tooth. Now I wish I'd had it extracted, too. Is it too late? I don't want to wait until my treatment is over. Should I ask my ortho? What if he says he can fix my midline without extracting it? (Is that possible?) Can I get it extracted without his order?
I will try to post a pic when hubby gets home from work to show me how! This really has me worried because we are paying lots of $$$ for this, and I want it done right. :(
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

Ambrosia80

Re: Question about wisdom tooth & midline

#2 Post by Ambrosia80 »

P.s. You can see from my pic that my bottom midline is off, but it is actually worse than it looks, because my bite is pretty messed up right now and I have to move my jaw to the left to close my mouth.

Ambrosia80

#3 Post by Ambrosia80 »

(And by "my pic", I mean my avatar. I just took that photo today.)

Ambrosia80

#4 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Anyone? :(

Matilda

#5 Post by Matilda »

I don't think it's too late. All 4 of my wisdom teeth were removed last Monday and I'm nearly 17 months into treatment. My advice to you is not to do anything without discussing your concerns with your orthodontist first. Good luck!

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

Your midline isn't too bad, but I understand your concern. It's not too late to have the wisdom tooth extracted and it's definitely worth mentioning it to your ortho. Like Matilda said, I wouldn't have it extracted without talking to your ortho first.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Ambrosia80

#7 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Thanks. I plan on asking him--just afraid he'll say no.. :?

kathydell

#8 Post by kathydell »

No matter what the question or issue, it's always better to ask as soon as possible than to wait. I hope it goes well.

Ambrosia80

#9 Post by Ambrosia80 »

He said I can! Woohoo!

Orwellian

#10 Post by Orwellian »

My friend got hers cut out of her jaws at approx. 1-2 YEARS into her treatment, as part of treatment though.
Sentence:18 months
Full metal braces
Consultation: January 15, 2014
Bonding: March 4, 2014
1st adjustment: ?
My Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46420

sirwired

#11 Post by sirwired »

Just FYI, I don't think that lower midline is bad at all... you notice it because you are in braces and checking on your progress; it's unlikely somebody just talking with you would ever notice. Certainly if you want it fixed, go ahead and do so, but if it were my mouth (and the wisdom tooth isn't causing any other issues) I'd just leave it alone.