Jaw pain after flossing.. ouch!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ceramic mouth

Jaw pain after flossing.. ouch!

#1 Post by ceramic mouth »

Hi everyone. Sometimes when i floss i get this jaw pain afterwards .. i think it's because i open my mouth in a weird way so that i reach my back molars .. i had - have- a crossbite so there's something not quite right with my jaw joint... did/does anyone go through something similar? What do you guys think i can do to help my jaw :huh: having said that i don't floss regularly and never did before braces :oops:

ceramic mouth

Re: Jaw pain after flossing.. ouch!

#2 Post by ceramic mouth »

And btw my gums got slightly swollen and turned red the last couple of days after flossing .. i am not sure if that's normal or maybe i was being too harsh :?

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

Flossing caused a lot of pain when I first got braces, but that was the pain of tooth movement. Your gums are probably irritated because you don't floss regularly. That sort of irritation is very common for non-flossers and is often a sign of gum disease. Let your dentist know you're experiencing pain and swelling and keep flossing if you can.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

cs2thecox

#4 Post by cs2thecox »

Loads of us on here are great advocates of the WaterPik.
It's waaaay easier than flossing with braces, and may also be more comfortable for you as you don't need to hold your mouth wide open in the same way!

You definitely want to get the gum inflammation down though - that's not a good thing to have at all, even more so with braces. Regular deep cleaning between your teeth (whether that's floss or WaterPik) plus a product with chlorhexidine in can get it down quickly but you should probably go and see a hygenist for recommendations...