Anyone else doing this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joeyyeo

Anyone else doing this?

#1 Post by joeyyeo »

So today I had an adjustment (I haven't been keeping track of how many) and I'm on to my thickest wire already! :D I'm in my 11th month with braces and there's still a long way to go but glad to know I'm making good progress!

At today's adjustment, I had extra hooks put on my wire between my incisors and canines, for all quadrants. Then my ortho put elastics from those hooks to my molars (horizontally, class 1 elastics I believe) for 3 quadrants, excluding my top left. She didn't tell me to change them or anything and didn't give me any elastics so I'm guessing I have no way to change them? Has anybody else experienced this?
Upper braces off after 636 days!

djspeece

Re: Anyone else doing this?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I don't have that sort of set-up but I have to assume you need to change out those elastics -- they loose a great deal of their tension within a few hours, and will inevitably break. Perhaps the ortho just had a mental lapse about instructing you and providing elastics, or assumed an assistant would take care of it. I defer to others with more knowledge or experience, but I would be on the phone to the ortho stat.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

Agreed with djspeece. Call your ortho ASAP. I would be surprised if you aren't supposed to be changing them.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

joeyyeo

#4 Post by joeyyeo »

Thanks for your concern :)

On a much closer inspection in the mirror, I found out that it's not an elastic, it's actually a white powerchains with only 2 loops that is stretched over 4 teeth!! No wonder it hurts so much :(
Upper braces off after 636 days!

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

Ah. The powerchain. A wonderful torture device. But, they work so well. A little tylenol will help and rest assured it will feel better in about 48 hours.

boodles8

#6 Post by boodles8 »

Ouch. Don't like them. I find Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (Naproxen) work best for braces pain. Do whatever works. If it helps, I usually find the pain from power chains shorter lived than other pains the ortho has caused me. Worse pain, but less time.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014