Short teeth....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ricardo2

Short teeth....

#1 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi Everyone,

Well, this is a bit of a strange question I know, but does anyone know whether teeth can be made longer/ pulled down further, or is that as far as they go???

The reason I ask is that since my braces were put on 4 weeks ago, I've noticed (especially after seeing so many other people's teeth on this site!!) that my teeth are actually quite short!

Maybe I'm just more critical of my teeth now I am focusing on them far more than usual, and perhaps the braces are just accentuating the minor issues..... I've noticed that one of my 2 front teeth is now very slightly longer than the other..... I'm sure it wasn't before!! :? (God, I'm a moanie one, aren't I?!!) :roll:

Anyway, I hope that sort of made sense.

Any feedback appreciated.

Take care!

LUCY xxx

BrandiJeane

#2 Post by BrandiJeane »

I completely understand what you are saying seeing as how Ive been wondering the same thing. I have the same problem but my ortho hasnt said anything about it. Ivm very interested to see the replies to this post!
Brandi- 20

Started my braces journey 5/05!

lilleth

#3 Post by lilleth »

my teeth are small AND I've ground them down due to overbite. As my upper teeth have been moved out of way of lower teeth, they've become less visible. I guess you can't have it all. just got lower braces on today (uppers on 1/05), and some of the brackets are very close to gum since teeth are small.

lilleth

#4 Post by lilleth »

my teeth are small AND I've ground them down due to overbite. As my upper teeth have been moved out of way of lower teeth, they've become less visible. I guess you can't have it all. just got lower braces on today (uppers on 1/05), and some of the brackets are very close to gum since teeth are small.

tictac

#5 Post by tictac »

I know that teeth can be extruded, or pulled down, but I guess that's up to your ortho whether or not it's something that should be done. Sometimes teeth look small because they have too much gum tissue covering them. In those cases, a gingivectomy can be done to expose the "true" size of your teeth. That's a pretty common procedure.

caryca

#6 Post by caryca »

one of my tooth was 'pull' down a bit...and i really felt it being pull down for a 5 weeks! :? wierred feeling
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

jimmy18

#7 Post by jimmy18 »

I have a deep bite because of my small molars, and my ortho said that he would be able to correct it partially. He did mention bringing the teeth out further from the gums. I think with rubberbands.

Post this with Dr. Randall and see what he says.

LoobyLou

#8 Post by LoobyLou »

As mentioned by tictac short teeth could be because they are covered by lots of gum so that could be an option to you to have the excess gum removed to reveal more of your teeth. One of my bottom teeth has been 'pulled out' of the gum as it was really warn down due to weird bite and chipping off and now it's been made higher ready for it to be filed down so it's the same length as the others. If you have this done it might involve repositioning some of the brackets so the wire pulls them down, but it all depends on your teeth and bite I guess.

Perhaps you should mention to your ortho your concerns and he should be able to suggest the best course of action for your teeth.

LoobyLou x
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

ronni

#9 Post by ronni »

I have a friend who just had the "gum surgery" to have more of her teeth show. It looks really good, but as with any surgery, there are risks and she did feel some discomfort.

ricardo2

#10 Post by ricardo2 »

Thanks everyone for all your replies.... much appreciated!

I definitely don't think they are short because of the gums - they look OK (I can't see my gums when I smile either) - I think they are just tiny teeth!! :roll: I'm quite petite anyway.... maybe that's got something to do with it!!

If nothing can be done about them, then I might consider veneers after the braces come off.... although it might be a bit pricey! :?

I'm going for my first adjustment in October, so I think I'm going to mention it to my ortho and see what he says.....

I'll let you all know the outcome either way!!

PS - Just out of curiosity...... Has anyone ever measured their front teeth, for example?? I'd love to know whether I'm just being over-paranoid!!

Mine measure about 8mm from the top to bottom (centre of front tooth)....is that more or less than average??

Thanks!

LUCY xxx

leah

size

#11 Post by leah »

Hi you caught my inetrest in the size of teeth. my teeth are big....... I measured and my front top central is 12 mm's

I have no idea what is normal size and dont think it really
matters. big, small, whatever shape, we are all here
because we want the same thing STRAIGHT TEETH.

Good luck, and I sure your teeth
will be beautiful.
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

ricardo2

#12 Post by ricardo2 »

....Leah - I'm lucky...... my teeth are already straight! :shock: Which is why I was so surprised I would need braces!!

Gotta be done though, otherwise my canines won't come down..... I think that's another reason I'm getting concerned about how short my teeth are, as the canines will obviously be longer, and might make them look even more stumpy!! :?

Thanks for replying.

Take care

LUCY xxx