What to eat in the days after braces are applied?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Orwellian

What to eat in the days after braces are applied?

#1 Post by Orwellian »

I am getting braces on March 4 and was wondering what some good foods for those first few days are. My thanks in advance! :-1
From,
Soon to be a: :tingrin:

sirwired

Re: What to eat in the days after braces are applied?

#2 Post by sirwired »

Nothing too special; you'll just want to avoid foods that require any sort of "biting off" and don't need too much chewing. You may want to look up smoothie and soup recipes for the first couple of days.

Matilda

#3 Post by Matilda »

Spoon foods.

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

Ground beef, soft pastas (spaghetti was hard to eat... go for something less stringy, like ziti/penne), oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt. It's also a great excuse to eat plenty of ice cream and pudding :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Norrie

#5 Post by Norrie »

In the first few days, I had a hard time with even soft foods. I basically needed to stick to things that were pretty much drinkable: soups, applesauce, smoothies, shakes, pudding, then worked my way (pretty quickly) into mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc.

Basically for the first few days, you're not going to want to do anything that forces you to compress your teeth in a chewing motion, even if the food is very soft. After that, you'll be able to do soft food that needs to be chewed some (pasta type stuff), and pretty soon after you'll be able to eat most things.

The best tip that our ortho told us when our daughter first got her braces was to give her Motrin and get a ton of food into her right away. Because in those first few hours, it's awkward to eat, but not painful. So she had a huge pasta lunch, but if I remember correctly, by dinner it was starting to catch up with her, and by the next morning she was bummed.

millersgirl

#6 Post by millersgirl »

My ortho did top braces first and bottoms a month later (just last week!) After getting my tops installed they weren't sore at all until a few days later. I think I only had a day where my teeth felt sore.
After getting my bottoms though my lower jaw was tender for a few days. Smoothies have been a lifesaver.

jamie vs

#7 Post by jamie vs »

I stocked up on ice cream, yogurt, and tapioca pudding. However, my favorite by far was making a root beer float. Jello topped with condensed milk is also tasty.

smiley1305

#8 Post by smiley1305 »

I definitely just stuck to soups and giant smoothies. It all depends on how painful it is for you. I had chicken noodle soup and it was hard for me to even chew the chunks of chicken that were in there so I jut kind of mushed it against the roof of my mouth to break it up. lol. But by the end of the week I was able to actually chew that which was great. At first I tried to convince myself that I could eat a bagel cut into pieces. Complete fail. I couldn't chew it at all and it made my teeth hurt even more. I don't recommend that.

kathydell

#9 Post by kathydell »

Scrambled eggs, lots of soup, pasta, yogurt, oatmeal. My best advice though is get back on the horse as soon as you can. If you tough it out after about the second week, you'll be back on most foods in no time at all. I find it's far better and the discomfort goes away sooner after adjustments if I work through it and eat normally but just cut everything into much smaller pieces. Afraid to tell you sandwiches won't ever be your best friend with braces as the bread makes a real big mess in the front. If I'm in a meeting with sandwiches, I just open it up and eat the insides with a fork.

msw

#10 Post by msw »

I'm a fan of the chocolate Whey Protein. This was a staple after I got my braces and I've gone back to it since I got the .020 monster wire. You can drink it with a straw and the 30 grams of protein per serving will leave you feeling full. It's thick, so I always use the blender. You could add some frozen blueberries and raspberries for more substance.

Orwellian

#11 Post by Orwellian »

msw wrote:I'm a fan of the chocolate Whey Protein. This was a staple after I got my braces and I've gone back to it since I got the .020 monster wire. You can drink it with a straw and the 30 grams of protein per serving will leave you feeling full. It's thick, so I always use the blender. You could add some frozen blueberries and raspberries for more substance.
My parents don't let me use anything like that. My mom even gets mad at her sister for using whey protein! :tingrin:
Sentence:18 months
Full metal braces
Consultation: January 15, 2014
Bonding: March 4, 2014
1st adjustment: ?
My Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46420

cs2thecox

#12 Post by cs2thecox »

If you're in the US, Naked do smoothies with protein added that are SUPER filling and may be easier to get past the parents than a giant tub of whey powder ;)

Orwellian

#13 Post by Orwellian »

cs2thecox wrote:If you're in the US, Naked do smoothies with protein added that are SUPER filling and may be easier to get past the parents than a giant tub of whey powder ;)
I'm in Canada :(
:tingrin:
Sentence:18 months
Full metal braces
Consultation: January 15, 2014
Bonding: March 4, 2014
1st adjustment: ?
My Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46420

mcb012

#14 Post by mcb012 »

I'm also getting braces on March 4th! I'm planning on making lots of smoothies. Also trying on eating protein rich foods so I have to eat less often. Good luck to you!

Gerib

#15 Post by Gerib »

Odwalla and naked are both sold in Canada. :). Boba tea is good too.
Geri

Braces on 2/18/14, elastics since day 1.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/glcobb2 ... %20Journey
The album above is my journey in photos. I am intending to keep it updated with progress photos.