Anybody else absolutely $#!¥ themselves when elastics snap?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lewdboy

Anybody else absolutely $#!¥ themselves when elastics snap?

#1 Post by Lewdboy »

Had lower jaw surgery almost two weeks ago. Just started to get a fork in my mouth the last couple of days. Never had elastics in before my op so all new to these rubber bands.

First one snapped yesterday when eating my lunch. PING!!! Brain bounced off the roof of my skull in shock!

Just now, both snapped at the same time. Mouthfull of noodles all over my new carpet. Just had to change my underwear.

This is normal? Right?
Top metal brace applied: 23rd January 2013
Bottom metal brace applied: 5th June 2013
BSSO and Genioplasty (lower jaw advancement): 5th February 2014

smiley1305

Re: Anybody else absolutely $#!¥ themselves when elastics sn

#2 Post by smiley1305 »

I'm not in elastics yet but according to my research I don't think you have to wear the elastics when you eat. I'd probably be startled to. Plus I'd imagine that hurts. I'm sure a more experienced person can confirm.

kathydell

#3 Post by kathydell »

Yup. Totally normal. Start a tally of how many you swallow too. It's great entertainment.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Yes, especially if you are on really tight post-surgical elastics; they make a real startling snap when they go.

(My OS preferred to use splints and combine it with very light elastics... but I think I would have preferred heavy elastics, as the wired-in-splint was awful, especially as I had mine in for nine weeks. Yuck.)

Gerib

#5 Post by Gerib »

Yep. Mine snapped in the chair lol. Scared me AND the ortho. My first try to put them in aand I broke one.
Geri

Braces on 2/18/14, elastics since day 1.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/glcobb2 ... %20Journey
The album above is my journey in photos. I am intending to keep it updated with progress photos.