I have jumped aboard the brace-face bandwagon!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Stephanie

I have jumped aboard the brace-face bandwagon!

#1 Post by Stephanie »

I'm Stephanie (no way!) and just turned 18 this past Sunday so I guess I can offically say I'm adult. Do I feel like one? Not at all. :P Anyway..

After needing braces for quite a few years I finally got them this morning. The process went very smooth, the only pain being that of the blue light which really burned my gums. They don't look so bad up close but far away I look a little funny. I feel really awkward talking and find myself covering my mouth a lot. Smiling is something I refuse to do around anyone else. I also haven't eaten since this morning because I'm afraid. :P

A picture for anyone interested:

Now, I have a question. I was planning on taking my little sister to the movies tonight and I was wondering, if I was careful, would it be all right to eat popcorn? There's really no pain, just a little pressure.

Thanks. :)

csblackburn

#2 Post by csblackburn »

Just say "No" to popcorn unless you want to spend the next day digging corn shells out of your braces.

Congratulations on joining the rest of us. I've been braced for almost 3 weeks now and I went through the same things you are. I'm still having a hard time smiling as I'm still self conscious about people seeing them. Talking is still strange for me and the "f" sounds sound a little slurred as I still have no idea where to put my upper lip on my upper braces. Plus, if you get too close you may end up with a shower after too many "f" sounds.

As for eating, you'll find yourself brushing after every meal or you'll be eating it for the rest of the day as it just keeps on giving. I carry around a G.U.M. go between to get the food out after every meal when I'm not at home. Wait until you try flossing. :P

Good luck and welcome.
Got braces? http://www.igotbraces.com
The orthodontic and orthognathic surgery support forum for everyone.

**shinyhappybraceface**

#3 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

Congratulations, and welcome.

I advise against the popcorn...what a nightmare! :cry:

(I can't say they didn't warn me, but I couldn't bear the thought of not eating my last bag of microwave kettle corn for 18 months!) :oops:
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

I still eat popcorn sometimes... :oops:

Sometimes, pleasure is worth the pain! :-}

Alexa
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Stephanie

#5 Post by Stephanie »

Haha well I tried eating popcorn anyway. That was... extremely weird. I can't chew like I used to, nor can I taste it all as much. I'm trying to eat my dinner right now, fish and rice, and I think most of this is ending up in my braces rather than my stomach. :P

I'll have fun cleaning everything when I'm done.:P

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Ah yes, you see you're never hungry when you have braces on your teeth, because you always have enough stuck in there for another meal! :lol:

But seriously, popcorn is for a more "advanced" braces wearer (3 months plus). Those little shells are like daggers when they get between your brackets! I did eat popcorn when I had braces, but I was really careful to only eat the ones with completely popped kernels ( I looked over each piece carefully). Most of the time it was kind of uncomfortable so I never ate very much at once. :roll:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

caryca

#7 Post by caryca »

yep, I find it really 'not intresting' to eat any of the chrunchy things: nachos or chips (crisps :wink: ) there are...... apart of geting stuck...testless, I am not sure why :(

any way welcome on board :D
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

Tin Man

#8 Post by Tin Man »

I've been braced almost a year now and I eat pretty much everything I used to, even popcorn. BUT, I won't eat popcorn unless I'm at home because I don't want to have to disgust everyone I smile at afterward.

PS - The one thing that kills me at the movies is milk duds. I always used to get milk duds at the movies, but I won't even think about eating them now.
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Rebraced

Jumping on the badwagon

#9 Post by Rebraced »

I guess I am a long for the ride with you. I get mine put on next Tueseday. This should be an interesting adventure. I guess hot wings are out of the question for a while???
Chris
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

Stephanie

#10 Post by Stephanie »

My orthodontist said hot wings are okay if you take the meat off the bone first. But with braces on at first you'll probably rather starve than eat anything :P Or at least that's how I'm feeling.

I hope all goes well next Tuesday. :D

Rebraced

#11 Post by Rebraced »

Starve...One reason I didn't get Invisalign was because I snack all day. I decided on regular braces so I could eat without taking them out all the time. I guess what you are saying is that I better plan on getting some soft food in the house before Tueseday. What are you eating anyway? I see next week is going to suck big time (lol).
Chris
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties