Permanent Retainers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hellocanada

Permanent Retainers

#1 Post by hellocanada »

Hi everyone,

I am getting my braces on March 27th (top ceramic and bottom metal). I am expected to have them for two years, then obtain a permanent bottom retainer and a removable top retainer. My question is why don't orthodontists offer a permanent retainer on top as well? The reason I ask is because I have known a few people who had stopped wearing the top retainer after a few years for a period of time and their teeth started to shift and create gaps, and ended up having to pay for a top permanent retainer anyway. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this or is planning to get a permanent top retainer as well as bottom? I plan to ask my orthodontist when I see her next, but thought I'd ask around too.

Thanks for your suggestions!

sirwired

Re: Permanent Retainers

#2 Post by sirwired »

Permanent uppers are more vulnerable to popping off due to things such as hard foods.

MrsCharisma

#3 Post by MrsCharisma »

It all depends on your treatment plan.

I do not need a bonded permanent retainer on bottom but I do need one on top. Why? My teeth are susceptible to having a gap (diastema). It was about 5 mm before getting braced and is now closed.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

It also just depends on your ortho. Mine uses permanent top and bottom, as well as clear retainers at night.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

hellocanada

#5 Post by hellocanada »

So I spoke with my ortho who told me that she doesn't normally recommend upper permanent retainers due to difficulty cleaning and likelihood of breaking off due to the bite. She said that I COULD get it if I wanted to, but she said something about still having to use the removeable retainer in the first year 24/7, regardless. Does that mean I would wear both?

Also, when you have a removeable retainer, are you supposed to remove it every time you eat? Seems like such a hassle, especially if you're in public.

nikkibabie19

#6 Post by nikkibabie19 »

Plus some people bottom teeth are so close to the upper teeth when the jaw is closed and relaxed that the the bootom my interfere (and pop off) the retainer that will be behind the uppers....

And well the biting into things issue

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

JillD

#7 Post by JillD »

I wear both. It was a hassle to wear removable retainers 24/7. Now that I wear them only at night, I don't think about them.

jem

#8 Post by jem »

I wear both too. But a bonded retainer for upper teeth is, as Nikkiebabie says, unsuitable for many people because their bottom teeth will press against it when their bite is closed.

A bonded retainer is by no means 100% failproof. I have recently had a week of not wearing my hawley retainer at night because one of the rear clasps was irritating a minor gum infection. I have noticed that a tiny gap has re-opened between my central incisors. I have checked the bonded retainer and it has not become unglued - but it evidently needs the back-up of the hawley which I will wear for longer hours during the next few weeks.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194