Bracket Position

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ambrosia80

Bracket Position

#1 Post by Ambrosia80 »

Is it common for orthos to reposition brackets at some point during treatment? When they do, is it closer to the end of treatment, as a finishing touch, or earlier? Will he usually notice the mispositioned (is that a word? :wink: ) bracket on his own and fix it, or does the patient need to ask?

I have several brackets that are not on straight (I'm sure he could barely get to them because of the crowding), and to me it's REALLY noticeable (the bracket is straight, but the tooth is leaning way over). I've had braces for 9.5 months, and he's not bringing it up. Should I ask him if he's planning on repositioning them? Or just trust that he notices and will fix it later?

I hate having to ask questions that make it seem like I don't think he knows what he's doing..
Damon braces- ceramic uppers, metal lowers

sentence: 15-18 months (Sept.-Dec. 2014)

Ambrosia80

Re: Bracket Position

#2 Post by Ambrosia80 »

One of them is significantly worse than the rest.

Ambrosia80

#3 Post by Ambrosia80 »

kathydell

#4 Post by kathydell »

I had brackets repositioned in the first 3 months or so. In the beginning things were so crooked she couldn't place a couple where wanted to. Once she got the arch lined up a little better, she moved them into position. Your best course of action is to always ask. Good questions and dialogue with your orthodontist is the most important thing. Then, you are each clear on the other's expectations and there is no guessing.

ljms

#5 Post by ljms »

Possibly, but keep in mind that your ortho is aligning your teeth by the root position and bite, not the tops of your teeth. If a incisor is smaller than it's opposite or if it isn't flat on top--I have both--the bracket might not look straight.

But ask your ortho. You're paying some serious cash so you have the right to ask questions. You're not questioning his work; you're trying it understand it. :D

nikkibabie19

#6 Post by nikkibabie19 »

I get what ljms is saying....

Remember we mostly only see "Aesthetically" what our teeth look like...

But the ortho is dealing with more than just looks....ie positioning, re positioning etc

So to the untrained eye it could "look" like the bracket is not where it is supposed to be...But in reality it is where the ortho wants it to be in order to achieve what he is trying to achieve.

But to take all the guessing work out of the equation you should most definitely ask him/her.

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

chichi

#7 Post by chichi »

I have an adjustment tomorrow that will include x-rays, pictures, and bracket repositioning. I'm coming up on 9 months in braces. I don't know if this is a standard timeframe, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Like others have said, it might be that your roots are lined up, but you aren't seeing that on the surface. Have you had x-rays since you were braced? I imagine your ortho should do that at the very least.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Matilda

#8 Post by Matilda »

Ambrosia80 wrote:Is it common for orthos to reposition brackets at some point during treatment? When they do, is it closer to the end of treatment, as a finishing touch, or earlier?
Yes, bracket repositioning it's pretty common. In my case, I had quite a few repositioned back in September, exactly a year into my treatment. It's March now and I'm still in braces.

MrsCharisma

#9 Post by MrsCharisma »

So to the untrained eye it could "look" like the bracket is not where it is supposed to be...But in reality it is where the ortho wants it to be in order to achieve what he is trying to achieve.
This.

I had repositioning of two brackets in month 11 or 12. To *me* there was no difference. But I trust my ortho knows what he's doing.

As always, if you have a question, just ask!!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Chicken

#10 Post by Chicken »

I had the two bottom front brackets repositioned at my last adjustment and it happened to be my one year anniversary.

ThroughTheWire

#11 Post by ThroughTheWire »

I just had an appointment this past Tuesday for x rays and to get brackets repositioned.
I am a little over 1 year into my treatment.

I asked what the repositioning was for and my ortho told me and showed me on my x ray how my teeth are straight and together on the surface but some of my roots were slightly tilted and one of my roots was closer to another root of the tooth beside it than he would like for it to be.

I got three brackets repositioned. I have no clue when I'm suppose to get my braces off or if I'm even close. I kind of want it to be pleasant surprise.

samoorelaw

#12 Post by samoorelaw »

I had one bracket repositioned one year into treatment. I still have at least another 6 months to go, maybe longer...
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

NeilH

#13 Post by NeilH »

Hi, I've had a bracket repositioned to move a tooth into the correct place and are likely to have a couple more during the course of my treatment. Bracket positioning is a really important part of the treatment process both to align the part of the tooth you can see and the root too.

DrJasonKTam

#14 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Bracket repositioning is extremely common. The orthodontist will see it a lot of the time, but it is ok for patients to ask as well if there is a question. Keep in mind that sometimes the incisal edge (biting surface) of the tooth may not look level, but the tooth itself might be straight with parallel roots, due to uneven wear. Pan x-rays are a good way to see root parallelism, but sometimes the roots themselves are crooked from the crowns, so there can be a tradeoff, generally towards the crown being made straight.

Another alternative to repositioning is bending the wires to move the teeth. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. Personally, I prefer to reposition if possible, even though there is added expense of a new bracket and increased chair time.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

WiredOldLady

#15 Post by WiredOldLady »

At about 6 months in, I had x-rays done to see where my roots were and was told I might have to have some brackets repositioned. The good news was that I didn't. The bad news was/is I'm the proud owner of 4 molar bands and just got done with a month of powerchains. I have wire powerchains now (good grief, my car and my mouth have a lot in common), but it seems that I may be ahead of schedule and MIGHT be debraced before Christmas. It all depends on a couple of stubborn teeth and how fast my molars get their act together and go where they're supposed to go.

I was told that I'd have x-rays done again in September that will help decide whether or not I'm brace-free at Christmas or not...
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!