How long before you stop noticing braces in your mouth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Korey

How long before you stop noticing braces in your mouth?

#1 Post by Korey »

Just got my braces in. How long did it take you before you stopped noticing that there was a foreign protruding metal object in your mouth?

chichi

Re: How long before you stop noticing braces in your mouth?

#2 Post by chichi »

Give it a month or so. In my experience, you always notice them, but you get used to having them.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

nikkibabie19

#3 Post by nikkibabie19 »

Am....Yeah about 4 weeks....

I mean u feel them but bcuz they are there ALL THE TIME....u dont "notice" them anymore.

Its like we always see our nose but u dont notice it until like there's a piece of lint or (something out of the ordinary) in the way to draw ur attention to it.

But the "Feeling " of braces gets to be the feeling of normalcy pretty fast.

In other words: You'll get used to them soon. :D

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

Chicken

#4 Post by Chicken »

Can't say that I have not noticed them, I have been aware of them constantly while awake. In the beginning I would wake up through the night with sore jaws from clenching. Thankfully that chapter has passed.
I can't wait until they come off.

millersgirl

#5 Post by millersgirl »

It's ongoing for me. I don't notice the protruding foreign metal object feel so much...but like others have mentioned...my day starts off with slowly opening my mouth to kind of unstick my mouth from the braces. Any time after an adjustment I'm in pain for a couple days-week. And I do wake up from clenching fairly often. But as I promise you it does become less...noticeable.

Shxyshun

#6 Post by Shxyshun »

I've only had mine for 3 weeks and I really don't notice them much anymore except when I'm eating. It's still kinda hard to eat without my top teeth hitting my bottom brackets. But besides that, they are pretty comfortable now. It was about a week when I could stop wearing wax.

NeilH

#7 Post by NeilH »

Hi, probably around a month. You will find that one day you just won't think about them and will carry on with life as before. Sure, you are always going to be aware of them in some circumstances such as when eating but it won't take long before you stop needing to accommodate them in the way you probably are now.

oimysizex

#8 Post by oimysizex »

it took me more than a month to stop noticing them, probably about 3/4 as i had them put on at separate times

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

prairiehouse

#9 Post by prairiehouse »

I forget. Maybe 2 weeks? It depends on what you mean, obviously. You're aware for a long time when cleaning. Obviously you always have to work around them.

I'd say you're always aware to some degree (not 24/7), but when your tongue or lips rub against them, or when eating, etc.

2 weeks is probably after I'd nailed down how to clean and eat, etc.

Tobilei

#10 Post by Tobilei »

At the risk of scaring you I am still aware of mine constantly. They feel less huge than they did in that initial few weeks but I never ever forget they are there.