Are you a mouthbreather

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Are you a mouthbreather

#1 Post by oldfart »

Curious if orthodontics has changed how much you are a mouth breather or a nose breather?

I know currently with the elastics closer to the front of my mouth it really forces my teeth closed and at least at rest I do breathe through my nose vs my mouth.

At night though, I still cant get myself to sleep unless I open my mouth just a bit to breathe. Not sure if its habit, or lack of oxygen.

It's funny as if I am rested and relaxed with my mouth closed for a period of time the teeth and jaws really get set in the closed position. And someone comes to talk to me, I have to really think about openning my mouth wider as I just go to talk and my teeth don't move.

just my boring topic of the day.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

chichi

Re: Are you a mouthbreather

#2 Post by chichi »

I don't think I was ever a mouth breather, but I completely understand having to focus on opening your mouth. My elastics have really been making me clench a lot, so when I open my mouth to speak, I have to tell myself to open wider... otherwise, I'm just talking through my teeth.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Anna5

#3 Post by Anna5 »

Yes, I am a mouth breather unfortunately.
I can breathe solely through my nose at rest, but when I start any activity (walking ed) I need to mouth breathe a bit as well in order to get enough air.
I also mouth breathe at night, which gives me dry lips. I try to teach myself to breathe more through my nose now, but it is hard when mouth breathing has been a life long habit of mine.
The braces even made the mouth breathing a bit worse, because of the increasing lip incompetence.

sara2280

#4 Post by sara2280 »

I am a mouth breather when I sleep. I too have elastics towards the front but they don't hold my mouth completely closed. They hold it tighter but don't force it closed. When I first started wearing elastics I could barely open my mouth but now it doesn't seem to be an issue. I am treating an open bite and a cross bite so I am sure the mouth breathing doesn't help. I was told that when I finish treatment I will have a special retainer to wear at night that will stop my tongue from pushing through my teeth while I sleep but not sure if that will force me to breathe through my nose while I sleep? Kind of nervous about that one.

oimysizex

#5 Post by oimysizex »

I'm a mouth breather, I constantly have a blocked nose and have had from about 7 years old which gets worse when i lie down, I feel like I can't breathe properly when I breathe through my nose and have to force myself to breathe through my nose and end up breathing through my mouth.

I can close my mouth but it tends to just spring open again it makes me so paranoid because I don't realise I'm doing it and I just look like I'm gorping at people lol!

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!