Proxy brush

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ceramic mouth

Proxy brush

#1 Post by ceramic mouth »

Hi. i was very committed to using the proxy brush at the beginning of treatment. but after a while it just felt it is not doing anything besides it's harsh to the gums and mine are a bit receded so.. maybe that's just an excuse not to use it :roll: but really it doesn't feel like it actually removes plaque anyway. i read several times that people use it to get stuff caught between brackets off, but rinsing and regular brushing can just be as effective. so what do you guys use the proxy brush for? i am asking because my front teeth stained so bad and i am afraid i will have decalcifications when i'm done, but i don't think proxy brushes are effective?! what do you think? Thanks for reading :Questions:

Jamesbcd

Re: Proxy brush

#2 Post by Jamesbcd »

I bought a pack when I first got my braces put on.

I tried them on the first day and didn't get on well with them. I thought they were harsh on the gums too.
I've done fine with just a normal/electric toothbrush and a rinse. Though I'm only a few weeks in so time will tell!

rowo

#3 Post by rowo »

I am so reliant on proxy brushes. I carry one wherever I go.
I use one every night after brushing. I feel like my toothbrush does a good job, but may miss a couple spots. Admittedly in the beginning I was a bit lazy to use them, thinking they're an extra unnecessary step in the process, but now it's an essential part of my routine.
In terms of being harsh on gums, as long as you don't use too much force I think they're fine.

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

I carry a proxy brush at all times. I've never used one between teeth, but I have definitely used them to get food out of my braces when a vigorous swish doesn't do the job completely.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Woobster

#5 Post by Woobster »

I also have one with me at all times.

They are great if you eat anything with small seeds (sesame seeds, etc.) that get stuck in tight little places. They are also really good at getting to things that may get stuck beneath power chains.

I also have two lingual cleats that are tied to my archwire to keep two teeth from spinning. Cleaning around the ties is difficult, even with my electric toothbrush. Those tiny brushes are perfect!

TheKT

#6 Post by TheKT »

I also carry them and use them when I don't have access to my electronic brush and water pik. They work great in between teeth and for getting stuff dislodged. I have 2 different sizes.

loradora

#7 Post by loradora »

As I mentioned in another post, these were a necessity for me, especially after eating pork which tends to get stuck under your braces.

ceramic mouth

#8 Post by ceramic mouth »

Thank you everyone for the different perspectives. I think I will start using them again just to check if my regular brush misses stuff under the wires! i still don't have any power chains or interesting additions like some of you, so will wait and see :D

cs2thecox

#9 Post by cs2thecox »

My hygenist had me use them twice a day between all my teeth even before I thought of getting braces!

If they feel too tough on your gums then you might be using the wrong size - I have 4 different sizes to use in different places in my mouth. I use the Tepe brand ones, in red, blue, yellow and green. As my braces move my teeth around, I need different sizes in different places which is annoying.

Apparently they remove loads of plaque from between teeth, so do stick with it if you've been told to use them by a professional. Now I'm getting better results from a Waterpik than from the little brushes, but I still use them when I travel (a lot) and can't take the Waterpik.