Same day braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

parsleysage

Same day braces?

#1 Post by parsleysage »

When I called to schedule my consult at an orthodontist in the area they said if I'd had a recent cleaning that I could get my braces on the same day if I wanted to go with their practice. Has anyone experienced this before? I was under the impression it took a few weeks to get everything ready for you to be braced. Apparently I was wrong?!

sirwired

Re: Same day braces?

#2 Post by sirwired »

No, no particular prep is absolutely needed. Photos, x-rays and impressions, and you are good to go.

That said, most people prefer to talk to more than one ortho before commencing treatment.

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

My braces went on 2 days after my consultation. The only reason they couldn't go on right away was due to their patient scheduling. They only install them on certain days and times.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

roxie2519

#4 Post by roxie2519 »

Each dentist is different . Maybe she doesn't have that many clients , therefor she is not that busy. It could be that she can take & develop the X-ray at her own office . Please , please do some research online & read the reviews before you actually go for it. That can play an important role on how long you will have to wear your braces !!

catwanabee

#5 Post by catwanabee »

Unless you're getting the X-rays and molds done on the same day + ortho's time of studying the mold and planning out the position of each teeth I wouldn't trust on same day braces. An ortho needs time to study the mold so that he/she could plan out the best method in which to move your teeth. For example, the need of extractions,etc. Seems like you're being rushed to make a decision so that you could be their client without you looking for other options.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46203
In Ovation-C Braces
Braced on Dec 2013 for 24 Months

parsleysage

#6 Post by parsleysage »

catwanabee wrote:Unless you're getting the X-rays and molds done on the same day + ortho's time of studying the mold and planning out the position of each teeth I wouldn't trust on same day braces. An ortho needs time to study the mold so that he/she could plan out the best method in which to move your teeth. For example, the need of extractions,etc. Seems like you're being rushed to make a decision so that you could be their client without you looking for other options.
I haven't been to the office yet but I don't have the feeling of a hard sell. I already told her my cleaning is scheduled for after the consult so I couldn't do it anyway. I did a little digging and found out on their website they use a 3D mold system called Insignia so that probably explains why they can provide it quicker.

altesse7

#7 Post by altesse7 »

I got my braces same day as X-rays, molds and everything. I already knew I was going to them, because a few friends had braces with them, and I liked their results.
The ortho surprised me by putting them on me that day. He could tell I was excited!
May 6,2013- Traditional Braces applied
To upper and lower
Length of treatment- 18-24 months
No more Elastics, as of 10/20/14
Horse Lover

Woobster

#8 Post by Woobster »

My ortho offered to put mine on the same day as my consultation. I would have done it, but I'm also a night splint wearer and the temporary one I would've had to wear just wasn't comfortable. So, I waited a week, got my braces put on, and had a properly fitted night splint as well.

My ortho is one of the best in my area. I didn't feel at all like he was trying to sell me on anything.

denSMSgt

#9 Post by denSMSgt »

I went in looking for ideas/options with a clunky jaw and some relapse from a failed (supposedly permanent) bonded lower retainer. I walked out unexpectedly same day with a set of nice metal 3M SmartClip brackets top and bottom. I'm admittedly weird, but totally prefer the braces to stupid retainers!

Cheers,

groovyladyliss

#10 Post by groovyladyliss »

I got mine within a week of my first consult. They had a heavy patient load and that was the only reason why it took that long. Only my top braces went on first and my bottom braces will go on next month. I have a class III malocclusion and a crossbite, and my top teeth need a head start in coming forward so that I "don't end up with an underbite" (my ortho's words).

ron1697

#11 Post by ron1697 »

Yea each patient is different. I could have gotten my braces on earlier but my orthodontist schedule has been busy.