Elastics stories

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

parsleysage

Elastics stories

#1 Post by parsleysage »

Inspired by the "Grade your elastics wear" thread, what are some of the trials and tribulations you experience during the day as you're wearing elastics?

Could be things like snapping, flying away while trying to put them on, eating/chewing difficulties, etc.

Any particularly funny or memorable moments?

roxie2519

Re: Elastics stories

#2 Post by roxie2519 »

Mine used to just snap out when laughing and people would notice.... I never ate with them on unless it was something like mashed potatoes.

samoorelaw

#3 Post by samoorelaw »

So far, I haven't had any snap, and since I take them out to eat, I haven't had any chewing difficulties. I am wearing one elastic on each side of my mouth in the triangle configuration and I think they're heavy or medium heavy (Impalas).
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

beckyboo0205

#4 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Sadly i don't have any real great stories yet. But I got my elastics and got on a plane a few hours later. I took them out to eat a snack and i was so paranoid when putting them back in that I was going to shoot one across the aisle at the people next to me. Thankfully I didn't. I have shot the elastics in the inside on my mouth though.

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

I think my fiance is getting tired of finding them all over the house. I don't know how they get where they get sometimes!?!? I think I have an elastics stealing ghost in the house.

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

kathydell wrote:I think my fiance is getting tired of finding them all over the house. I don't know how they get where they get sometimes!?!? I think I have an elastics stealing ghost in the house.
I'm the same way. I'm finding elastics all over the place... I have no idea how they get there.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

TheKT

#7 Post by TheKT »

I play with mine all day via tounge or fingers - bad habit, I know!

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

I strum along to music.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

TMJJill

#9 Post by TMJJill »

I had a couple during my tenure:

*During one time when I had 6 elastics in, I ended up in a wrist cast for a couple months. I am right handed and only had the use of my left hand to put the elastics in. I had some fairly heavy elastics that had to go on my back molars in a couple "V" configurations, you know, hook on top, doubled up under bottom hook, then back to the neighboring top molar hook. A bit tight and challenging configuration with the right hand, hilarious in the beginning with the left hand. I quickly learned that the elastics could easily shoot up and over the shower curtain or across the room. Unfortunately, they were clear elastics and could easily go 'missing'. Sometimes I couldn't find them and I would end up stepping on them days later. Somehow, I found one in the freezer one day. :roll:

*At one point, my dentist switched from latex to 100% non-latex elastic usage. While they were healthier, I really came to dislike the non-latex ones. I'd go to sleep with 6 in place and wake up with only 1 intact. I'd have to dig around my mouth for the others that had snapped. Quite frequently, it never added back up to 6 again. I'm still not sure how many I managed to swallow. Thankfully, I was able to convince them to order in some of the latex ones for me for the remainder of my treatment.

Now, if you go for bracket stories... I managed to swallow 3.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

parsleysage

#10 Post by parsleysage »

TMJJill wrote:Somehow, I found one in the freezer one day. :roll:
Oh my gosh! That is hilarious.

And I am truly sorry for your adventures in swallowing dental appliances! It is very funny though! :-* I'm glad no harm came to you :)

System

#11 Post by System »

Great stories everyone.