Having problems flossing my molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maddiesmom

Having problems flossing my molars

#1 Post by maddiesmom »

A few months ago I got my molars braced/banded (they are all entirely wrapped in metal) and since then I've been unable to floss behind the last molars. Is this a big deal? Just wondering if I should force it (it's pretty painful) or just let it be? I just don't want bacteria to end up sitting there causing a cavity when my therapy is done. Any thoughts?
Emily
Mom of 2 girls!
Braced since 1/19/05

shasha

Flossing the molars

#2 Post by shasha »

I have the same problem, and at my adjustment yesterday i asked the ortho, she pretty much said i have to try. But this is what i have been doing. Do you know the little picks, they look like pic with tiny bristles on them? Anyone can feel free to jump in with the name, they are made by various companies but i like the ones made by GUM. I buy the tiny ones, after brushing, i use them to rub around the bands at the root of the molars.I also use them to floos between my teeth, after using the thread. It might seem like its not doing anything, but trust me, you would be surprise that after brushing,(because this is a hard to reach area) you will see small particles of food. Then i just brush that area again. If there is an easier way , someone please let us know .

Sharon
Braced since Aug 11, 2005
ThanksImage

JN_Woods

#3 Post by JN_Woods »

BrushPicks!

Upper Braces & Both Expanders 9/14/05
Lower Braces 1/5/06
Estimated Treatment Time: 24-27 months

shasha

#4 Post by shasha »

Thank you JN_Woods, i could never remember the name just what it looks like. :D