Plaque and cavities?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*hotslinthesun*

Plaque and cavities?

#1 Post by *hotslinthesun* »

I have a question. I tend to get alot of cavities, and have had them all my life (had 4 fillings when I was 3). A friend of mine has the same problem and her dentist told her that it was because her saliva is more acidic than normal and therefore causes more cavities, however that having acidic saliva causes less plaque.

So I was wondering, the people who have lots of cavities, do you find that you don't have very much plaque when you get a cleaning? And the people who have a lot of plaque, do you get fewer cavities?

My hygienist always tells me that I have very clean teeth and never has to do too much plaque removal. So I was thinking that this theory might make some sense...
Full ceramic braces 08/10/2005

beanstix

#2 Post by beanstix »

Hi, I'm one of those people who gets plaque build-up quickly, due to the calcium/salt content of my saliva - apparently this content forms a barrier on top of bacteria quicker than the average saliva content and hey presto, plaque in less than 12 hours.

I'm 43 and all 4 of my first molars have small fillings - however these were filled many years ago, can't even remember when, as a teenager I think and I haven't had a filling for at least 20+ years. My teeth seem to be OK, it's my gums that need the attention with the plaque build-up.
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

Lexy

#3 Post by Lexy »

My hygienist always comments on how clean my teeth are, and I personally don't notice a lot of plaque build up when I'm brushing but I've still had a ton of cavities. However... my teeth were very crowded before braces, and flossing/brushing was hard to do, so it could've been that I just wasn't able to clean my teeth properly. I haven't had a new cavity since getting braces.

Your theory does make sense, but I imagine there are other factors to consider as well.
Braced: June 2005
Treatment Time: 30 months
Metal on Top and Bottom

ricardo2

#4 Post by ricardo2 »

I got severe decay/erosion about 2 years ago, and needed fillings in every tooth.

Mine was discovered to be caused by acid reflux, plus the diuretic meds I'd started... (they basically get rid of water hence dry mouth/no saliva)

I don't seem to get plaque at all.... I clean OTT anyway, but I think cavities are always going to be a problem for me, despite my regime, as I still need the meds. :roll:

I just make sure I use all the Fluoride stuff & watch my diet! I'm still getting cavities though, despite this!! :(

Take care

LUCY xxx

fyrelight

#5 Post by fyrelight »

I've never had a cavity.... but my plaque isn't very bad either... Last time I went, my dentist told the hygenist I didn't need the scraping this time, just the polishing.... :D
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

cookie

#6 Post by cookie »

I have no cavities and have no fillings at all in my teeth, but I tend to get plaque build up quite badly. Sounds like there's something to your theory!
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

fyrelight

#7 Post by fyrelight »

The pH range is from 0 to 14, with 7.0 being neutral. Anything above 7.0 is alkaline (basic), anything below 7.0 is considered acidic.

WATER is a 7.0.

The pH for saliva is 6.2 to 7.0. From the University of Western Australia:
The bacteria in dental plaque rely on the sugars in our diet for energy and to grow. When bacteria metabolise these dietary sugars, they produce plaque acids.

These acids etch and erode the enamel on our teeth, producing tooth decay. We can measure the amount of acid in our mouth by testing the pH of our saliva. Normal saliva has a pH level between 6.2-7.0. When plaque acid is present, the pH level drops. When it drops below 5.5, the plaque acids can decay enamel.

Chewing sugar free gum after eating will increase saliva flow and reduce the acid levels in the mouth faster.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

londonchick

#8 Post by londonchick »

have to agree that there is something to this theory.

I'm in the loads of plaque/ gum problems but no cavities camp.

Apparently this can be explained by the fact that the excess plaque is being caused by the calcium content of my saliva being very high, but as we all know calcium is good for the teeth right ?!?!?!?