Ever have a band come loose?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KittyW

Ever have a band come loose?

#1 Post by KittyW »

I've been braced 9 months now. This morning I felt something sharp (as in metal) on the lower molar that is crowned and banded. To my surprise, the top part of the band was "torn" on the outer side of the tooth/crown! Apparently, I ground the metal band down and now the band is loose too!

I called my ortho to let them know I'll need more time at my adjustment next week so they can replace the band.

Has anyone else had a band come loose?
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

trinity1

#2 Post by trinity1 »

This actually happened to me this morning but luckily I was at the ortho's office. The assistant noticed that it was loose as she was trying to pry the hook out. A loose band is bad because it can cause cavities and tooth decay, that's what the assistant said. Now I'm paranoid that the other band might be loose, too. I'll just have to be more diligent and inspect everything more thoroughly than I usually do. I suggest you get it fixed ASAP.

KittyW

#3 Post by KittyW »

Glad to know I'm not alone! I spoke to the ortho's office and they said if it comes completely off before my appt. next week to call and they'd fix it sooner. Since the band is on a crown, I'm not that concern with decay...plus even tho it is loose, it's still on the crown. :)
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006