28 yr old man, tooth colored brace? i think not!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

derrick2005

28 yr old man, tooth colored brace? i think not!

#1 Post by derrick2005 »

Hi all,
I'm new here. I had a brace put in last week, 15 years after my last brace went in and 12 years after it came out!! And this time its for pure vanity...
BUT!!!
What no one ever told me is that even though the actual thingys themselves are white and the bands and wires are white THERES SILVER ON EACH BRACKET!!!!! how is that invisible???
Also, has anyone else had both the metal and white ones? The white ones feel so much bigger in my mouth, unless I've forgotten what it was like.
Anyway, this whole process is part of my own personal makeover (not quite like the extreme ones on tv, but wat the hey!)
I had 84 pounds to lose and in three months I changed the way I eat and lost 40, so it was time for the braces to come in for a year by which time, hopefully I'll be thin and my new skin regime, (exfoliating, moisturising... and no, I'm not gay!!) will all combine to a new look me, all in time for when I turn 30, and in time for my 7th wedding anniversary.
So thats me and my plan..... a great bonus for me in this past week since I got the braces on, is I lost 6 pounds in just a week. Long may it continue!

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

Good for you!! Image

You should be so proud of what you've already done and your goal is in clear view!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

derrick2005

#3 Post by derrick2005 »

Thanks, I wasnt saying that thers something wrong being gay its just i've had to do everything very subtly, like i havent been plucked and waxed etc, everything is happening very slowly. whats great is that people who havent seen me for a while would say things like "wow u lost so much weight and it suits u , ur skin looks healthy too" they just put the 2 together
As for my wife being proud, she's the one who chases me every week, tweezers in hand, ready to pluck my eyebrows (no more mono brow for me!) and I'm her guniea pig for new exfoliating soaps etc.
As for the braces, its been 5 days , I still can't chew, I'm sure it wasnt like this last time round!

medictrina

#4 Post by medictrina »

Congrats on new braces! I'm 28 and I thought I should finally get my crooked tooth in line. The first week was hell for me too, but I can finally eat a sandwich! Good luck!
Trina

derrick2005

#5 Post by derrick2005 »

Yes, all produts ae natural and I;m the only "animal" tester for them!
The hardest pasrt of everything for me has been the brace as I run a youth group and so I had to go from one day to the next from talking properly to having a lisp and a full brace. The kids are having a field day! Also, while I'm studying to become a therapist I have to make a lot of presentations and its difficult, but I suppposed as a child therapist I can now have first hand experiecne about how a child feels when they have a brace and the social consequences of it etc..!
Its day 6 for me and I still can't chew properly!!!!!

LiveWire

Hi Derrick

#6 Post by LiveWire »

Good Luck and I hope that you are feeling better soon....I kinda know how you feel with my seperators in I am not really chewing much as my teeth are sore...not as bad as yours I am sure but definately affecting my menu each day :cry: But it is all for a better purpose and we must be positive about it cause it makes it all better.... :wink:

I am also in the public alot (over the phone and in person) and worried about how my speech will be affected--getting braces and TPA within the next two weeks....but I am told that you adjust within a few weeks and it all gets better from there...

Hang in there and congrats again on your wonderful transformation! :D

Enjoy life to the fullest and take chances! :0)

Layla

#7 Post by Layla »

Hey.

I posted something similar to this just before. I've been seeing a lot of posts about people losing weight due to not being able to eat as much because of the pain from their braces. It's probably none of my business, but it really concerns me when I witness people hurting themselves. I'm not sure if you've lost 6 lbs in a week because of the braces or not, but if you are, please be careful! Losing weight too quickly is so bad for your health, and isn't a long term benefit at all. They say 500g - 1 kg a week is safe depending on your current size.

Eat as thick soup with as much variety as possible if you can't chew!

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

Layla wrote:Hey.

I posted something similar to this just before. I've been seeing a lot of posts about people losing weight due to not being able to eat as much because of the pain from their braces. It's probably none of my business, but it really concerns me when I witness people hurting themselves. I'm not sure if you've lost 6 lbs in a week because of the braces or not, but if you are, please be careful! Losing weight too quickly is so bad for your health, and isn't a long term benefit at all. They say 500g - 1 kg a week is safe depending on your current size.

Eat as thick soup with as much variety as possible if you can't chew!
I lost 5 pounds very quickly when I first got mine on. Then I gained it back PLUS 5 more pounds. Seems I found that there were plenty of soft foods that I liked :oops:

Unfortunately, I am now about 10 pounds overweight.

I think the weight loss from braces is quite temporary. :wink: At least it was for me.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm