Should I call for an earlier appointment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

**shinyhappybraceface**

Should I call for an earlier appointment?

#1 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

I'm 29 years old. I was braced (regular metal brackets) on September 7th. I have had no pain and no movement. I know it's only been 12 days since I got braces, but shouldn't I have had some kind of discomfort?

My first adjustment isn't until November 16th, 10 weeks from the initial "installation" appointment. I feel like that's a really long time to go between the first and second appointments.

I'm wondering if they're prolonging my treatment for a reason. I'm totally impatient, can you tell? :oops:

Thanks...
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

caryca

#2 Post by caryca »

I had no pain for the first 2,5 months. The first bit of something I got after 2 weeks in braces, one tooth started to ach a bit..that's all, only after the change of wire(2 adj. after 10 weeks) I was really in pain.

are you sure you have regular braces? I think the standard porcedure for regular one is each 4-5 weeks.

I woudl not worry about the 'no pain' factor, about the 10 weeks, I don't know, maybe in your case the wire will still work?
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

If the orginal poster has Damon 3's 10 weeks is pretty much the schedule for adjustments. If they don't than and have regular braces that require ligs than 10 weeks is a long time.
I have Damon 3's I haven't experienced much pain, just an occasional tooth that would be sensitive. I don't have much 'visual' movement but I can tell a difference in my bite.
Be patient it will happen.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Sounds to me that the ortho put on a light wire so as not to move the teeth too quickly. This not only gives you a chance to get used to the brackets against your cheeks, but allows the roots to move slowly, which is good for them. I wouldn't be too worried at this point.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

**shinyhappybraceface**

#5 Post by **shinyhappybraceface** »

Yes, I'm positive that they're regular metal brackets. I couldn't afford ceramics or self-ligating ones. I thought the 10-week appointment sounded far off when I was discussing times with the receptionist. I didn't mention it even though I was sure most people had adjustments around once a month...

I thought I'd get home and be in pain, but I haven't been.

Attagirl - perhaps you're right and they're just starting me off easy.

I think I'll give it another week or two and if there's still no progress, maybe call to see if I can get in earlier.

Thanks for all of the helpful (and reassuring) responses! :D
The future is no place to place your better days. ~DMB

cookie

#6 Post by cookie »

I'd not worry too much about the time between appointments. I've just looked back through my diary and my first adjustment was 8 weeks after being braced. All my subsequent appointments have varied between 5 and 7 weeks. My thinking behind this is that my ortho knows what he is doing (after all, it's his profession!), and that if he says 8 weeks, then that's what best for me and my teeth.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

mackenzie

#7 Post by mackenzie »

I got a new wire after 2 weeks. I went in to have some filing done on a funny shaped tooth and told them how I had no pain at all or anything, and I ended up getting a new wire. No pain from that one either though.

medictrina

#8 Post by medictrina »

Wow! We are on the exact same schedule! I had horrible pain for the first week but my teeth feel great now. A sore tooth here and there, but mostly pain free. I thought 10 weeks was a bit long too, but after reading some responses, I'm not worried! :D