Braces at 55

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vyvyen

Re: Braces at 55

#46 Post by vyvyen »

YAY no reaction to the two brackets glued on my back teeth :D . Full set of braces go on next Tuesday. I had a bottom very crooked front tooth removed and it is not a very nice look having a gap in the front of your mouth :( . Thank you again for the support. x

Gerib

#47 Post by Gerib »

Congrats Vy! That gap will close quickly. :flowerbloom: :GapToothed: :paperbag:
Geri

Braces on 2/18/14, elastics since day 1.

http://s71.photobucket.com/user/glcobb2 ... %20Journey
The album above is my journey in photos. I am intending to keep it updated with progress photos.

vyvyen

#48 Post by vyvyen »

My braces are ON :D

parsleysage

#49 Post by parsleysage »

Congrats!!! Hope you don't have too much discomfort over the next few days.

Nozzelnut

#50 Post by Nozzelnut »

Congrats! Every journey starts with the first step.

I had my uppers put on today too.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

SunshineRay

#51 Post by SunshineRay »

Congrats on being braced! You will be really glad you stuck with it. Hopefully the front gap closes soon and you start loving your smile. :D

Lorianne

#52 Post by Lorianne »

How's it going the past 24 hours? Yes, it hurts the first few days, week, but the pain and soreness go away, don't worry.

vyvyen

#53 Post by vyvyen »

Hello and thanks for the support. Yep it's actually not too bad, teeth are a little tender and inside mouth a bit sore but using the wax helps. I've even been out to breakfast and had scrambled eggs which I could just slide down lol. Still feel very embarrassed when I'm speaking to people, my Hubby said 'you can't even notice' think he's telling fibs, everyone has noticed :oops: So glad I'm on this journey with you other lovely people, couldn't do it without you. :BigTeethGrin:

HELP PLEASE - how do I do one of these 'tickers' I'm useless on computers and just can't figure it out.

vyvyen

#54 Post by vyvyen »

[/url]

Ciara

#55 Post by Ciara »

vyvyen wrote:Image
[/url]

Nice ticker!!! It does get better and most people are so focused on themselves that they don't notice...I know they seem huge and we all have the "how could anyone not notice these" but that feeling goes away pretty quickly. Hang in there!

vyvyen

#56 Post by vyvyen »

Hello, yeah mouth is getting a little worse every day, must use more wax :soremouth: I so wish no-one would notice my braces but everyone does. Maybe when my teeth aren't sticking out so much it will be better. Cheers, xx

Sorry but how do I add my selected ticker to my posts??? Still don't know what I'm doing sorry.

redwine

#57 Post by redwine »

Best thing I ever did was NOT use wax! I rinsed with saltwater a lot, and in the evenings I add a bit of hydrogen pyroxide to my waterpik. The insides of my mouth toughened up quickly. My tech told me about that trick and it certainly worked for me. PS - I'm almost 58!

vyvyen

#58 Post by vyvyen »

Well it has now been three months into wearing braces. I seriously must be the only old 55 yo person where I live in braces :oops: I am amazed at how quickly your teeth straighten into a straight line (no more sticking out teeth), BUT I have a huge over bight and I suppose that is going to take ages to sort out. I still have a dreadful gap in the front on the bottom which looks awful though and it seems to be getting bigger. I have now got a rectangular wire on and apparently will be developing more gaps and teeth may stick out even more :oops: . Will be so glad when this is over.