Is anyone sick of their braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mplsgirl

Is anyone sick of their braces?

#1 Post by mplsgirl »

Okay, so I've had my braces for almost a year now. I am so sick of them! At first they were like a new toy and I couldn't get enough of them. I actually LIKED them! Ick! :) I had wanted them for awhile, though, so it sort of makes sense.
Since I got my braces I have gotten married, lived abroad, started grad school, blah blah blah. No matter what happens I still have these darn braces!
I think I still have to have them for about 6-8 more months. My teeth look good, so I am thankful for that, but enough is enough with the time-consuming flossing, changing of the elastics, and, most of all, food stuck in them.
Is anyone else "over" their braces? I'm just curious... :tingrin:
Ceramic on top since 10/12/2004
Metal on bottom since 1/19/2005

true_jaat

#2 Post by true_jaat »

ME - I am definitely over them.
The future depends on what we do in the present.

cookie

#3 Post by cookie »

I've been braced for nine months (nearly 5 for the bottom) - and I'm feeling much the same :? Not helped by the fact that my ortho's told me that my top teeth are done now, but the braces have to stay on until my bottoms are done (quite a long way off!) as they need the top braces for my elastics (which I should get at my next adjustment) :roll:
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Yup, getting tired of the whole thing. But that said, I know I am over half way. I am 10 1/2 months done with a revised estimate of 16 months. Would have helped if I hadn't just broken off a bracket on my upper, crowned molar for a second time. Now I will have to have it banded. I have to wait two weeks just to get the spacers put in as my orthodontist's has to see it before they make the decision. (I already know that I will have it done as he gave me that option the last time I broke it off).

OK, that's enough whining for me :roll: , someone else's turn....
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

flowertowngal

#5 Post by flowertowngal »

Yes, I am sick of them. I have never quite developed the affection for them like some others on this board. Actually, to be honest, I really hate them. The brushing, flossing, cleaning...all of that is a pain, but what I really hate is just how they look and how they feel.

I used to be a big smiler, even with crooked teeth, but now I hesitate because of the awkwardness. My crooked teeth were not very noticeable to anyone but me so the fact that they're straighter is not much consolotion right now.

I am extremely proud of myself for doing this, though, and that helps a little, although the fact that I almost got them on 3 years ago is enough to bring me back down - to think I could be done with it all by now can be very depressing. Sigh...

texasangel

#6 Post by texasangel »

YES!!! I am sooo tired of having these things in my mouth ! I've had mine on for a little over 8 months and hopefully they will come off by the end of the year. I've never enjoyed them AT ALL. My main problem is not being able to chew up food very good because my bite is messed up. And I have bottom molars missing that need implants when finished, so the wire digs into my cheeks and food gets caught in the "hole" URRGGG! And I also still have my bite blockers behind my two top front teeth! Those things still drive me crazy!
Like you said flowertowngal - I am proud of myself for doing this, but it's a whippin'.
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!

shinyam

#7 Post by shinyam »

I am fed up with these things as well. I don't mind the brushing, stuck food, or diet restriction. It's just the waiting that kills me, since I am so used to instant gratification. The fact that my teeth have not moved at all in over 10 months is the worst part. If I don't see any changes soon, I think I'm going to go crazy.

beanstix

#8 Post by beanstix »

I'm seriously sick of braces (posted recently re: fed up with my teeth, plaque etc etc) and I've never felt able to offer advice to others as after 6 months I'm still struggling myself. I hate the restriction, the cleaning, the lisping, that rotten taste in the morning - and above all the flipping cost! Most people on here seem to be so upbeat and positive - sorry but I'm just telling it how it is for me - maybe for some the experience is enjoyable. I just get through it and can't wait for Nov 06 when these blasted things come off. Like Shinyam, my teeth haven't moved that much either and I still have a gap from a lower incisor extraction - and my ortho's attitude gets right on my pips. :evil:
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months

cookie

#9 Post by cookie »

flowertowngal wrote: I used to be a big smiler, even with crooked teeth, but now I hesitate because of the awkwardness. My crooked teeth were not very noticeable to anyone but me so the fact that they're straighter is not much consolotion right now.
I feel exactly the same as this.

Beanstix - I had extractions in April this year (2nd bicuspids) and they haven't even started to close the gaps at all - my bottom teeth are moving SO SLOWLY - ok they're just levelling them just now, but I'm getting a bit annoyed at how long it's taking. And every time I ask how long he thinks I have left of treatment he's very evasive.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

trinity1

#10 Post by trinity1 »

Tell me about it! I've had my lower braces for 1.5 years and uppers for a year. My minor underbite was corrected a year ago but a gap on my uppers that is 2.5mm is taking forever to close. I have been wearing elastics and powerchains from the very beginning and it's not making it go any faster. Today, my teeth are hurting, wires are poking my cheeks, elastics make it hard to even open my mouth, have wax on right and left cheeks, I'm hungry and can't chew on anything!!! My original estimate was 1-1.5 years but then my ortho sold his practice to another ortho and his approach to my treatment is slowwwww... compared to my previous ortho. Can't wait to get these puppies off :cry:

alexa

#11 Post by alexa »

I am totally sick of these things. I've had them for nearly seven months and I'm way over them. I'm sick of how young they make me look. Yeah, yeah, I know I'll be happy about that one day, but today is not the day! I keep getting carded to go to R rated movies! You only have to be 17 to go to a R rated movie...that means these people think I am over 6 years younger than I am! I never even got carded for R rated movies when I was under 17. :(

I know it'll be a great result in the end, but to think I have another 2 years just bums me out.

Sorry for the whining, but it's been a bad braces month for me. Bah.

Alexa
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

caryca

#12 Post by caryca »

alexa wrote: Sorry for the whining, but it's been a bad braces month for me. Bah.
I am exacty at the same thing...this month is not the best one. I have problems with smiling...and I am fed up with flossing....but I hope that next month will be better! must be...another 14,5 months + a bit as my braces are broken since 4 weeks... :?

But I hope that it will be better not only for me but for you others as well :) we have to survive!
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#13 Post by nahky »

Im gunna say no. Im not sick of them just yet. Sure they can be annoying, bu on the other hand, they ar helping me acheive the goal of a perfect bite (I got an underbite)

At first they were a novelty to me as well, (i.e "I love my braces") But now they are just apart of the norm for me. I can relate to the food situation, how it gets stuck and all. But its a small sacrifice for me for happiness. Im only 7 months in and another 14 to go. I'll probably get sick of them in the latter stages.

Funny how people get carded when going places. Maybe you should keep your mouth closed :roll: ( :lol: ) I smile big and people still reckon im like 20-ish (im 17)
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Evelyn

#14 Post by Evelyn »

Oh yes, you hit the bullet right there-sick of them would be an understatement. I am now on my fourth year...I just try to keep my eyes on the prize which is quickly approaching. If I dwell on the past and all that I had to go through I lose all hope but the only way that I can maintain sanity with these things is if I keep reminding myself that the day will come soon when I get them off, and then, it would all have been worth it. I swear when I get these off I'm going to smile till my cheek muscles break :D

Someday, someday, someday...

Evelyn
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

BraceFace13

#15 Post by BraceFace13 »

Nope, I like them! :D It's this molar band that I can't stand. :-+