Question about Oblique Elastic wearing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kacers

Question about Oblique Elastic wearing

#1 Post by Kacers »

At my adjustment yesterday, my ortho told me at night, to wear my elastic in the oblique configuration. Good gravy that is uncomfortable! I can't lick my lips or open my mouth! And the pressure?! WOOO.
The question is...do these need to be strung across the front of my teeth, or does it matter if it crossed behind my front teeth? It naturally wants to go behind my teeth. When it goes in front, it hooks along the brackets on bottoms and the top. Its not so much a straight shot as in the drawings I'm finding online. My bite is open right now while she adjusts the crossbite on the left side, so its tricky.

Snowglobe32

Re: Question about Oblique Elastic wearing

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

You may want to call your ortho and get clarification but from everything I have seen, the elastics need to be worn in front of the teeth.

I am glad you don't have to wear that during the day! I was at a restaurant once and my waitress had to wear that configuration- during the day! Poor girl!

gpac

Re: Question about Oblique Elastic wearing

#3 Post by gpac »

I also agree that they should be worn in front of teeth. If they go behind your front teeth the proper force won't be applied.