New to Braces (1 week)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface2005

New to Braces (1 week)

#1 Post by braceface2005 »

I got my top braces (metal) put on Sept. 16 and will be getting my bottom braces put on Sept.28. My question is how did you deal with the self-esteem and self consciousness of having braces on? Sometimes I feel a little unattractive and that no one would want to approach a woman with braces because they may think she's a teenager. I am 26 years old. I know as my treatment progress and I see the changes this will all be worth it. Advice please.

Rebraced

#2 Post by Rebraced »

braceface2005, I still feel self concious and don't smile at all yet. I just can't seem to do it. Everytime I laugh I find myself turning away so no one can see. Last night I went out to dinner at The Cracker Barrel and the waitress had braces, I felt so at home. I smiled with her and it was all good.

This morning is a big day for me. I go into work for the First Time in braces...I am a little nervous to say the least. I am getting less focused on them them though.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Braced on 9/20/05 Top and Bottom
Clear brackets with wire ties

TuZZi

#3 Post by TuZZi »

I'm also a 26 year old female, and I've had my braces for just over 3 weeks now. I've found that I tend to smile, and notice I'm smiling, a LOT more now than I ever did without braces. I'm just so happy that my teeth will be fixed in no time, that I don't care what I look like. I've had TONS of compliments on them already, and I've even got a few from complete strangers!

Working in retail, I have to talk to people every day, and I feel a lot more confident and sure of myself now than I ever did. Just give it some time, then you'll be showing them off constantly!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

fenderella

#4 Post by fenderella »

I've had my braces for a week too! I got them on the 15th.
I dealt with the self conciousness head on. I figured, "look, I'm going to have them and I'm going to have them for awhile...I might as well grin and bear it and get used to them now." So I've been flaunting them a bit and just dealing with it. I was afraid my bf was going to think I wasn't as pretty, but again, I new that it was well worth it and that I'll just have to deal with it.

One habit I have to get over: covering my mouth when I talk to people! One of my co-workers said I'll end up doing that when I get my braces off, so I'm trying not to do it. :-)

Right now I just need to get used to chewing food....it's been a week and I still can't really chew on ANYTHING!

"Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts. "
Jim Morrison

caringiscreepy

#5 Post by caringiscreepy »

I think my confidence has gone up, I'm on camera alot and always used to try and hide my teeth but now I'm flashing my metal smile off all the time. I was a bit worried they'd make me look geeky and younger (although I'm only 18 ) but I've only ever got nice comments and I got a new job whilst wearing my braces.
The only person I ever hid them from was my boyfriend when he saw them for the first time because I knew he'd laugh but he was only messing about :D

Braces on: 13th July 2005
Estimated Treatment Time: 18 months