Only a Week!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newbraceface

Only a Week!!!

#1 Post by newbraceface »

Hey guys! I only have one week until I get my braces. I got my spacers yesterday, and so far, I ahve not felt much pain. I do have a high pain threshold, but I have been able to eat solid foods and such. Am I weird? Anyway, I have a few questions. First is what color bands should I get? I don't want anything too flashy. Also, my orthodontist will give me the basics like floss picks and wax, but what other gadgets should I get? I already have a water pick, because my sister recently had braces. I have already gotten into the habit of using it, which I guess is good. My last question is, can I use whitening toothpaste while I have braces. I know I should try to avoid it, but I have a favorite toothpaste because of the feel and taste ect. but it is whitening. So will I have to give it up for a year????? Thank you in advance!

moodychopin

Re: Only a Week!!!

#2 Post by moodychopin »

Hi newbraceface - Hardly an expert (mine are going on next week too!) but Ortho has said it doesn't really matter on the toothpaste side of things. Your told to avoid whitening but apparently there 'whitening' effect isn't that noticeable. Been told that as long as I don't go and get my teeth whitened professionally there shouldn't be a problem with staining when they come off. Don't just take my word for it though!

How long have you been sentenced to?

newbraceface

#3 Post by newbraceface »

[quote="moodychopin"]Hi newbraceface - Hardly an expert (mine are going on next week too!) but Ortho has said it doesn't really matter on the toothpaste side of things. Your told to avoid whitening but apparently there 'whitening' effect isn't that noticeable. Been told that as long as I don't go and get my teeth whitened professionally there shouldn't be a problem with staining when they come off. Don't just take my word for it though!

How long have you been sentenced to?[/quote]

Lucky for me, only a year. A year and a half at the most!

stephcsun

#4 Post by stephcsun »

You are very lucky ..my 2 weeks with spacers were the most difficult I couldn't chew at all. I got the clear bands and 5 weeks in they have not stained, but I do avoid plenty of foods. I think you should keep using the same toothpaste you were using to keep your teeth the same color. There are orthopicks which are easier to use, but if your teeth are crowded like my bottom it won't go in-between easily so use the regular string floss. One thing I recommend is getting ACT Braces mouth wash, and if you want to avoid getting white spots at all cost the MI Paste I heard works great. I recently bought one and hope it works as they claim.