One week down!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brooks

One week down!

#1 Post by brooks »

So yesterday marked the end of my first week in Damon's. I have to say, overall, I am pleasantly surprised how easy it has been. I'm pretty used to them, haven't needed to use wax even once, have my whole cleaning routine w/ flossing, waterpik, brushing, and rinsing down to about 8 minutes. I can even easily put my elastics on without a mirror etc. So I'm pretty happy!

Now the bad (of course): I still can't chew with my front 6 or so teeth, so I'm still on soft foods. I have gotten used to it so its not too bad really.

What is really bad is that ever since I was banded, I have had a really sore and sensitive spot at the gum line between teeth 3 & 4. I have only ever had 2 cavities, but the pain reminds me of that same pain, a raw nerve pain that hurts to the touch or when I floss or waterpik and cold air and water hit it. It sends chills all over and makes me dread cleaning my teeth. I booked an appt with my dentist for Monday morning and I am really hoping its nothing. I do have a little gum recession in that area I think, and I'm wondering if when they prepped the teeth for braces it seriously affected that spot. Fingers crossed its an easy fix!!

Has anyone had issues like that, and if so, what happened? I am trying not to imagine the worst. And like I said, overall it has been great so far and makes me not quite dread the next 24 months nearly as bad!

Hope all of you guys banded around my same time are having as easy a time as I am :)

Givemeariesen

Re: One week down!

#2 Post by Givemeariesen »

I have had my braces on a little over a week, and I have a sensitive spot at my gum line behind a canine. I am always nervous when getting my teeth cleaned, even though my dentist knows about it. I had my teeth cleaned a week prior to the braces, and didn't have any problems. I didn't tell the orthodontist about the spot and was nervous the whole time they were around that area when getting the braces on. No problems until that night when I brushed. It was very raw and I couldn't even brush in that spot, I just kind of covered it with my tongue and brushed around it. The last couple of days I haven't had a problem brushing that area. It gradually got better. I am using sensitive toothpaste also. Hope it gets better for you.

twentyseven

#3 Post by twentyseven »

Hi All! I have the same issue after my bracing. I did some research and it seems it's cause by etching done before you get the brackets on. I have started using Elmex Gel (it's avaialable in Europe, I don't know about US. But it can be any high fluoride gel I think) on that spot, hopefully it helps.

brooks

#4 Post by brooks »

Mine has gotten worse and more sore instead of better. I got a cleaning 3 days before braces, and had absolutely no problems at all, so it was definitely caused by the process somehow. I was scheduled for dentist in the morning but due to a family emergency I am now out of town and will have to reschedule. Hopefully I can get in very soon and I will update when I know more.

adribraceface

#5 Post by adribraceface »

I had a very similar pain in about the same spot as you are describing. It was VERY sensitive to cold and would hurt when I brushed and flossed too. I found myself drinking water with no ice because the pain was so bad! It would also sort of come and go every few days (or be less painful every few days). I just went to the dentist and told them about it and they didn't see a cavity. She also told me if I was sensitive to hot AND cold, then I should really worry and that is probably a cavity. My pain probably started about 2-3 weeks after an adjustment (not bonding), so not sure your issue is the same or not.

I did notice that area looked to be under the most stress from the braces wire. It was the most crooked or out of line than the rest, so I really think it was the braces causing the sensitivity and the pain. It stopped hurting after about 2-3 weeks, on and off. I hope yours is something similar and it's nothing serious! The pain was really bad so I sympathize with you!

Also, I've had my braces for about 4 months and still can't bite into things with my front teeth. I pretty much eat anything I want, but have to cut it up into smaller pieces to chew with my back teeth. It's not fun, but it gets the job done!

Featheryy1221

#6 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I too have had sensitive teeth at times throughout my treatment. It's always teeth that are under a lot of pressure and once things settle down, it goes away. I always worry that something's wrong but it's not.
I've had two dental cleanings since getting braces and have had no cavities (yet, don't want to jinx myself for my next appointment in July haha).

While its possible you may have a cavity, usually with x-rays and such before bracing your ortho checks out to make sure you don't have any of those issues before installing braces. I would think if your ortho didn't see any issues, you should be okay.

As for chewing with your front teeth, I actually don't bite into anything or chew anything with my front teeth and I've had braces for over 9 months now. I was told not to bite or chew with them as broken brackets occur more that way. Whether or not that's true, I dont know. It's easier though because I know I won't have as much food stuck in my front teeth.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

brooks

#7 Post by brooks »

Dentist says my tooth is fine and its just pain that I will have to deal with. Just movement possibly exposing a little of a sensitive part of a tooth, etc. Everyone was right, par for the course. Still hurts though :(