Worst foods to eat with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Givemeariesen

Worst foods to eat with braces

#1 Post by Givemeariesen »

I am three weeks in with my braces and have found so far eggs and rice (or really any kind of grain) are the worst offenders. I like sushi and I am concerned about the size of the rolls with regard to chewing discreetly. Any advice/experience on this? What foods have bothered anyone else?

LillyS

Re: Worst foods to eat with braces

#2 Post by LillyS »

I'm about three weeks in also and I've found those foods to be the easiest to eat. Albeit the getting lodged between brackets and wires. For that I have found it easy just to put food to the back ofmy mouth and chew (I also have build ups) I then rinse water round my mouth and kinda suck my braces clean ? No one seems to notice.... Sushi is my go to food if I want something easy, small rolls go straight in, other large rolls can be a challenge especially if they have something on top but they are manageable.

My worse food to eat is sandwiches, get food stuck everywhere urghhh and it hurts to bite into :(

BraceFace2115

#3 Post by BraceFace2115 »

Do your teeth look yellower with Braces? I'm 3 weeks in and my teeth look awful! Before they were lovely and white!!!

snowblaze

#4 Post by snowblaze »

Coleslaw is for me the worst food to eat with braces so far, the cabbage just gets stuck everywhere! Cooked minced beef is very annoying too.

rintiq

#5 Post by rintiq »

I find that eating salads are really tough since all the leaves get stuck almost everywhere! Boiled asian veggies are even worse.. especially when a long leafy one gets hooked onto your bracket and you try to swallow most of it but you can't since its hooked on! Its a really weird feeling, like a slimy wire in your throat.. haha I think I went too far with details there!

But breadrolls are really tough to eat now! Since the bread is rather tough and you have to tug a bit.

But one of the worst for me, is probably curry/laksa. They're one of my favourite foods but they just have to discolour my ligature ties and powerchains!

ljms

#6 Post by ljms »

There are the foods you're not supposed to eat, as explained by your ortho.
There are the foods that you physically can't eat because your bite is all wonky.
There are the foods that get stuck between your braces.
And finally, there are the foods that stain your ligs and/or power chain.

If I had eliminated ALL the above foods, they'd be feeding me through my nose by now. :D

Food that gets stuck between braces is a PITA but I deal with it. For the most part, I don't worry about foods that stain the power chain because my braces are significantly more noticable than a stained power chain and I get a new power chain every adjustment anyway.

Eating is difficult. If you obsess over which foods to eat, you'll just make yourself miserable.

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

ljms wrote:There are the foods you're not supposed to eat, as explained by your ortho.
There are the foods that you physically can't eat because your bite is all wonky.

If I had eliminated ALL the above foods, they'd be feeding me through my nose by now. :D

Food that gets stuck between braces is a PITA but I deal with it. For the most part, I don't worry about foods that stain the power chain because my braces are significantly more noticable than a stained power chain and I get a new power chain every adjustment anyway.

Eating is difficult. If you obsess over which foods to eat, you'll just make yourself miserable.
Funny, true, and well said!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jaime

#8 Post by jaime »

BraceFace2115 wrote:Do your teeth look yellower with Braces? I'm 3 weeks in and my teeth look awful! Before they were lovely and white!!!
It's probably the glue. I noticed it right after getting my braces. You can ask the ortho to grind some of it off. I had a big chunk of it on one of my canines that was really noticeable (and yellow). They buffed it off and now it's fine.

I've found sushi is definitely the worst to eat, because of the rice. I eat salad frequently and that's a pain. Spinach leaves love brackets. I have the added fun of a TPA wire across my palate so stuff gets stuck there as well as my brackets.

Funny story but my sister and I got some of those Snack Wraps from McDonalds. I had a HUGE piece of tortilla stuck in my lower front teeth all night and didn't notice until I got home. My sister told me she never noticed...I don't even understand how that's possible. It was huge! I've avoided anything with tortillas ever since.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

jfriend33

#9 Post by jfriend33 »

My worst would be kale in soup. It gets hung up on all the wires. Another thing is beef roast it gets caught in between my molars.

Featheryy1221

#10 Post by Featheryy1221 »

ljms wrote:There are the foods you're not supposed to eat, as explained by your ortho.

Definitely this! Even the day after an adjustment I start eating some of the foods I normally would. I figure there's no point in being miserable, not to mention, soft foods get soo boring. I figure the quicker I get back to a normal diet the better. :)

The worst offender as far as getting stuck in wires on molar bands is definitely LETTUCE. I always have lettuce stuck after eating salads. Oh and definitely rice. I love Chinese food and stir frys but man trying to get that stuff out is crazy.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

KayKay

#11 Post by KayKay »

Went yesterday for spaghetti to one of my favorite restaurants. Thought it would be easy. Instead, because of all the long stringy pieces, I almost gagged trying to eat it. Even cutting it into smaller pieces wasn't easy. I think its because spaghetti is skinny and long. I've had elbow macaroni and it was a breeze. Spaghetti, I'm sad to say will not be on the list until I get my braces off - and my journey has just begun.
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

Givemeariesen

#12 Post by Givemeariesen »

Discovered another food last night that is definitely not braces friendly...at least, not biting into them the way I did...pickled beets.

Tasha012

#13 Post by Tasha012 »

I find burgers, baguettes and certain sandwhiches difficult to eat without getting things stuck everywhere!
Grated cheese also doesn't seem to work too well for me.

I often open for food I can eat with a knife and fork, the other day at work I was forced to eat my chicken wrap with a knife and fork because I really didn't want it get stuck haha

LillyS

#14 Post by LillyS »

My new worst food with braces is spaghetti talk about choke!

SimMermaid

#15 Post by SimMermaid »

Has anyone tried to eat corned beef or pulled pork with braces? These are some of my favorite foods and I was wondering if I cut them into small enough pieces they wont get stuck so bad?