Getting bottom braces next monday, very worried

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snowblaze

Getting bottom braces next monday, very worried

#1 Post by snowblaze »

Hi y'all

I am going to get my bottom braces installed next Monday and I'm very worried. Everybody told me it was worse the bottom than the top, is it true? My top braces weren't so bad: I had to eat soft foods for about 2 days and then I was fine. My bottom teeth are pretty messed up so it will probably be hurting a lot.

I have a feeling my ortho will put some powerchains on my top braces since it has been a while my teeth are in the correct position but have gaps.

Pain time ! :-=

djspeece

Re: Getting bottom braces next monday, very worried

#2 Post by djspeece »

I had them applied at the same time, and there was no difference. Just some mild to moderate discomfort for a few days at most, easily treated with an over the counter medication (ibuprofen). Don't sweat it. And best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jaime

#3 Post by jaime »

I, too, had them put on at the same time and didn't think there was any difference. I also didn't think the powerchain was very painful, either. Since you said you only had 2 days of soft food eating, it sounds like you're on the luckier end of the spectrum, so I wouldn't stress about it too much.

My lower front teeth were pretty jacked up as well and I couldn't believe how quickly they straightened out. They were more or less straight 2 months in and I didn't find it all that painful. Every now and then, one of them would feel super tender but if you're chewing with your molars, you'll barely notice.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

tg82

#4 Post by tg82 »

I had both put on the same time - no issues. pain to eat for few days but that was because my top were more sensitive than the bottom (the bottom needs more work done than the top)

Nozzelnut

#5 Post by Nozzelnut »

I had mine put on a week apart; I don't think either the uppers or lowers were worse than the other.

It'll be ok; soft foods for a couple days and wax the hot spots if they show up.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

snowblaze

#6 Post by snowblaze »

Thank you for your kind responses, I hope I will be in pain only for two days like the top braces.

Is it true the brackets are more prone to breaking since they might make contact with your upper teeth? So far I never broke a bracket on my top braces.

Nozzelnut

#7 Post by Nozzelnut »

Slightly more of a chance but it depends on how well your teeth take the bonding and cement. You might get the fun and exciting bite turbos or build ups!!!

Basically they prevent you from chewing off your lower braces if you have a deep bite. Your ortho will have you bite down a couple times to see if they come together and if they do they'll either put turbos (behind your front teeth) build ups on your molars, or maybe even give you a bite plate; retainer like thing that's either removable or fixed.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

stephcsun

#8 Post by stephcsun »

For me the bottom ones aren't as bothersome as the top..At first it was just hard for my bottom lip to get used to them I have the ceramic ones and they are a bit larger than the regular ones.

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara »

I got my bottom ones on 4 months after the top ones and I really saw no big difference. It took about 2 days for me to get used to them and I never really had to eat soft food. I had power chains on the top and bottom for about 6 months and never had any real pain.
Try to relax. Since you didn't have problems with the top ones, you probably won't with the bottom ones either.

rintiq

#10 Post by rintiq »

I had them both put on at the same time. My top teeth hurt a lot more than the bottom, but my upper teeth needed much more work than my bottom half. I think it really depends on what is being moved around!

snowblaze

#11 Post by snowblaze »

Got my bottom braces this morning at 10AM. Had to go to work and pain started at around noon. I'm in much more pain than when I got braces put on my top teeth. Right now it is really hurting and I can feel the pressure. I'm on liquids and taking the day off tomorrow.

Here is my mouth right now :

djspeece

#12 Post by djspeece »

Don't suffer needlessly, take pain meds. I prefer NSAIDs such as ibuprofen but whatever works for you, take it (assuming no contraindication in your particular case such as a drug allergy). It will get better. Remember that pain/discomfort means that you are on your way to a better smile! Hang in there.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying