New, Nervous and with the daftest question I think!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracingmyself

New, Nervous and with the daftest question I think!!

#1 Post by Bracingmyself »

Hi all,

After a bit of lurking (oops) I have finally registered as my treatment is going to get under way soon hopefully.
I had my consultation and I will be having 2 upper pre-molar extractions and then upper and lower ceramic with tooth coloured wire to start. My ortho will be using INVU which I have looked everywhere to see an image of someone wearing but can't find diddly-squat! Not even on the official site :(
Then reshaping of any teeth as needed after discussion when braces off.

Anyway, I am nervous - I am 32 and hated my teeth for as long as I can remember. They aren't terrible but they aren't great - middlin I guess!
My ortho has been great as I have bombarded her with a hundred questions as I have found this site to be a great source of info/help and prompted me to ask questions.

And so to my daft question! I am so worried, that after treatment (which is expected to be 18 - 24 months) that my teeth won't look right.
Because they have been in their positions for so long I am worried not that I would look odd with straight teeth but how they grow, position just won't look right. I hope that made sense and I know it sounds a silly question but it is my main bugbear.

My ortho has said she can do this thing where she takes impressions of my teeth now and can simulate the final position and fit of my teeth using models which I will obviously have to pay for.

I keep thinking well, they can't look any worse!

Well, hope I haven't bored anyone - in the least I have raised a chuckle with my odd worry!

I am in the UK and am looking forward to chatting with you all here, it looks like a great place - so glad I found it!

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Welcome! I know what you mean when you are wondering if they will look "right" when they are done.
I have a couple teeth that were in front of the others, and the gums seemed to have receeded or something ( the tooth seemed longer than the other) and I wondered how that was going to look, and how they would fit together.
I have only had my braces 6 weeks but I can tell you that already they fit together very nicely and the tooth that I was worried about looks great. ( not longer at all, just was in a different position)
If you are worried about the final outcome, maybe you should have that simulation done so you can feel at ease with your decision. Getting braces is a big decision, financially and emotionally- so the cost may be worth the piece of mind that your making the right choice. :)
Good luck with your decision!!
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

chrisd

#3 Post by chrisd »

what types of questions do you wish you had asked? i have my second consult next monday and want to make sure i cover all the bases.
thank in advance
chris

redjunebug

braces newbie

#4 Post by redjunebug »

hi...i have been reading in this forum for a couple of months now. i get my braces on today (no tooth pulling thank goodness) but my doc is going to do the procedure where he take mm off of certain teeth with a water tool? anyway, better than pulling for me... im 31... very excited...i have always hated my teeth... i have the classic "vampire fangs" my front 4 teeth are actually straight...but then i smile really big and VOILA! "i vant to s u c k yeer bluud! :twisted: .. ha ha anyway, cool site cant wait to meet some others like me! :D
Last edited by redjunebug on Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bracingmyself

#5 Post by Bracingmyself »

Thanks for the welcomes guys and rejunebug, we look like we will be around the same time line so I look forward to chatting!
I am still toying with the idea of the simulation - half of me figures well they can't look any worse but the other half wants to get an idea!
I have kind of fangs, they're not too bad as they grew down a bit but that caused my front upper teeth to crowd as there was no room.
I say they're not terrible, I think they're B***dy awful but I have seen worse and know that I am fairly lucky but they are alot worse than others I have seen.
I had a nightmare last night that I got my braces on and they hurt like hell! Scared now!! haha

Geri

#6 Post by Geri »

Welcome Bracingmyself!

Reading the replies to your post - I had no idea that other people had "fangs" too! Wow! Thanks alot, redjunebug, for mentioning it. I will post some pre-braces pics soon - once I figure out how!

Brace date: 3 Oct! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you and everyone else!
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

CelestialVoices

#7 Post by CelestialVoices »

Welcome to the boards! You'll find lots of help and support here :)

Bracingmyself

#8 Post by Bracingmyself »

UPDATE: Tomorrow night I go to get impressions for the simulation I am having done!
I have a small ulcer though so I am hoping it isn't too painful!!