Expander is out!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missjess

Expander is out!

#1 Post by missjess »

Wahoo! :D I got my RPE out yesterday afternoon. My mouth feels so...naked now. Well, semi-naked. Topless maybe. Anyway, I'd gotten used to talking funny, and not being able to touch the roof of my mouth, so it feels so strange to be back to normal.

Although it feels strange now (and the roof of my mouth feels raw), it does feel great to have that huge hunk of metal out of there.

Jess

Lexy

#2 Post by Lexy »

That's awesome. I'm happy for you!

Yay!! :thumbsup:
Braced: June 2005
Treatment Time: 30 months
Metal on Top and Bottom

active

#3 Post by active »

thats awesome. i still have to wait a WHOLE MONTH to get my expander out. October 25th, 8:30am haha. I seriously can't wait and am counting the days. but that same day i get braced, so i think my mouth will be metal free for just a couple of minutes. but braces have GOTTA be better than the expander. i hope so

active

#4 Post by active »

thats awesome. i still have to wait a WHOLE MONTH to get my expander out. October 25th, 8:30am haha. I seriously can't wait and am counting the days. but that same day i get braced, so i think my mouth will be metal free for just a couple of minutes. but braces have GOTTA be better than the expander. i hope so

missjess

#5 Post by missjess »

Thanks for the good cheer!

Active, braces will be MUCH better than the expander! I had tops, bottoms and the RPE put in at the same time. Last adjustment they said at the next adjustment (yesterday) I'd get the thing out, and I did start counting the days! But it went fast. Oct. 25th isn't all that far away. :)

Jess

shinyam

#6 Post by shinyam »

I've had mine in for a full year now. I can't wait to get the darn thing out.

active

#7 Post by active »

yea i'm still counting but i think it'll never come soon enough. i actually have a countdown on my cell phone which tells me the exact number of days, hours and minutes til its removal! missjess how long have you had your expander? mine will be on for 6 months at the time theyre removed, but many people have had them from 3 months to a year! i would hate to have this thing on for another 6 months!

missjess

#8 Post by missjess »

Active, mine was on for 4 months. I've also heard people having theirs on for a year. Ugh, no thanks. So glad I didn't have to have it on that long.

Jess

leeann38

How does the expander feel?

#9 Post by leeann38 »

I am an almost 23 year old college student, and I am going on Monday for my first appointment since the consultation. I have to have a removable palatal expander, but I am not sure if that is going to be put on tomorrow or not. I have read that they don't work as well in adults? I doubt my orthodontist would have me wear one if not... it was between that and surgery to separate my palate - although I must say the surgery would have been quicker! haha
Can anyone let me know what to expect? Thanks!

Lee Ann

decisionmade

#10 Post by decisionmade »

missjess... i am so jealous! congratulations..i can't wait til I can get rid of mine..I will have mine for 3 more months an am getting braced on Thursday so I'll have everything in my mouth at the same time..ugh..
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

wating4braces

#11 Post by wating4braces »

Ha ha, good for you!!! You are so lucky. Well, then again, I think I'm pretty lucky too cuz I have only had these expanders on (yes THESE, i have two of them) since august 15 and am possibly getting them off sometime in october!!! Urgh, can't imagine having the thing in for a whole year. I got my expanders and braces at the same time, so not only was i in a world of pain, i couldn't talk right (well still can't). Once again, good for you! :-)o :banana:

Katie

CelestialVoices

#12 Post by CelestialVoices »

Congrats missjess, I get my expander (upper) on Oct 26th, I'm kind of nervous about it.

megan_in_pink

#13 Post by megan_in_pink »

i get mine on oct 21, not sure if it it upper and lower or just upper

Dmourning

#14 Post by Dmourning »

I found the expander to be the worst part of the whole orthodontic process so far. Congrats to you, it only gets better from here on out :)
Braces on: February 22, 2005

Braces off: December 28, 2006