IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oregonhusker

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#466 Post by oregonhusker »

The roof of my mouth had some discomfort after a month. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about you, but I would rub my tongue across the roof of my mouth during the healing process...to probe how it was healing. It probably took the better part of a year before it felt smooth and normal again.

ditsy

#467 Post by ditsy »

The back has healed perfectly, that just felt like I had burnt it, it's the front of the gum that's painful. It's not constant pain just when I prod it by accident. But yeh I do give it a bit of a poke to see how it's doing lol

rachelb

#468 Post by rachelb »

Such a useful thread! :D count me in! I have an impacted upper right canine and an ectopic upper left one. Baby canines still in their spots and looking good, but they ll have to be extracted. I'm having my exposure done next week, hope it all goes well!

Abs

#469 Post by Abs »

Update: (30 year old guy with an impacted left lower canine who had surgery in early Jan 2015). Had my month X-ray done today 3 months after my exposure surgery. Looks like the canine is slowly moving. Not as fast as I would want it to but at least it's not ankylosed and it's just a matter of time and me being patient during it. :)

alice1987

#470 Post by alice1987 »

coolcat35 wrote: Is it normal to develop a strong lisp and have trouble talking while bringing down your canines? The pain and discomfort of the whole process hasn't bothered me much until now. But I'm not sure I can handle the change in how I talk. I have a job that requires me to run meetings with clients every day and I need to be able to talk confidently. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Hi coolcat35, when I first had my extractions done I developed a lisp for a few weeks. I think it was from trying not to touch the roof of my mouth (not to mention the huge gaps that had been made in my gums!). I was pretty embarrassed for a while there and I had to repeat a lot of things so that people could understand me which just made it worse. BUT it only lasted a few weeks and my speech returned to normal so I'm sure the same will happen or you :)

And just an update on my case...last time I saw the ortho he told me that if my canine hadn't moved by the end of March he was sending me back to the dentist/surgeon for another procedure called an 'apicotomy'. I had to look this up and it doesn't sound pretty, plus there isn't too much information out there for it, but I guess that's because it is only for people who have tried canine exposure with traction, and failed. Anyone else heard of this or had it done? (Not to be confused with apicoectomy). So...I saw my ortho again 2 days ago and... my tooth has finally moved!! Very very slowly, but its moved. To try keep it moving I now have a second button on the tooth and have been given tiny rubber bands to connect to my bottom braces.

I'm at 9 months post-exposure and activation and have my hopes up for my tooth to be in place by Christmas (my other impacted canine has already moved into place). But seeing how long it has taken so far, it is probably silly to expect this.

mellyd107

#471 Post by mellyd107 »

Today, I got my spacers on. Woo hoo!! A couple of questions.. I'm getting my braces put on Monday, is 4-5 days too short of a time period to have the spacers on? And is it normal for my spacers to not hurt at all? Knock on wood! I'm not complaining about that at all, just a little concerned. I'm so excited/nervous that I got the first step done and will getting braced before I know it!! :D

makemesparkle

#472 Post by makemesparkle »

Hi, I'm 25 and finally decided to do sometging about my impacted canines!
My left one will have to be exposed, and I'm just wondering what the prodedure is like, and how much it hurts afterwards!

jenna88

#473 Post by jenna88 »

Finally got my braces on this morning. I went for all metal in the end (originally was going to get ceramic upper metal lower). Getting them on was really quick, no discomfort as yet will see how they go over next few days. Having the brace on highlights even more how wonky my teeth are!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ditsy

#474 Post by ditsy »

Phew I'm glad it's not just me who only realised how wonky my teeth were until after the braces were on. I only got them in because of the canines then looked at the brackets on and they were all over the place.....best thing is...after 27 years of biting my nails I have had to stop! :D so by the end of the process I will have pretty teeth and nails!
Really not seeing any movement in my canine :( it's only been a month and a half but I look to see if the chain has moved and nothing seems to be happening. I really hope this bugger gets a wiggle on! Silly question but do they do the X-Rays to see if your tooth is moving? I'm just wondering how they can tell, with a mouthful of metal can they do X-Rays?

ditsy

#475 Post by ditsy »

Woop Jenna!!! I see the little springy wire on your canine bit! They didn't put a bracket on the tooth next to the canine gap on mine so I have the wire over the gap and a tooth, I wasn't expecting it when they first done it and I thought it looked huge, but nobody ever notices it. It's nice seeing pics of people with the same thing as its easy to be picky about your own mouth but when you see it on someone else you realize it's not that bad at all x

jenna88

#476 Post by jenna88 »

ditsy wrote:Woop Jenna!!! I see the little springy wire on your canine bit! They didn't put a bracket on the tooth next to the canine gap on mine so I have the wire over the gap and a tooth, I wasn't expecting it when they first done it and I thought it looked huge, but nobody ever notices it. It's nice seeing pics of people with the same thing as its easy to be picky about your own mouth but when you see it on someone else you realize it's not that bad at all x

Hi ditsy. He has left the baby canine intact for now while we creat space with the braces. I'm not sure if you have seen my other posts on here but I have a quad helix in too which is pulling the impacted canine (think it's been about a year now).

ditsy

#477 Post by ditsy »

Oh Blimey! I had to Google that, they don't look fun at all! It's strange how they do the same kind of thing in different ways. My tooth was pulled out and chain attached, two weeks later the brace to make room :) x

millersgirl

#478 Post by millersgirl »

:-1 :-1 New members of the club! Hello!

I'm just reading over some posts...I have my ortho appointment Wednesday and we will go over the fancy scan I had done a few weeks back. Keeping my fingers crossed for good luck. I'm feeling so over all of this right now. The tooth BETTER be moving. It's been over a year now since activation and still no tooth in sight. I can tell my front teeth are all starting to majorly shift which my ortho is afraid of. I'm feeling very nervous for Wednesday as I can't really say that I have the $7,000+ that it's estimated a bone graft and implant will cost if this canine isn't moving.

millersgirl

#479 Post by millersgirl »

Got my 3D images today! They don't really indicate great news movement wise, but there is no nerve damage. So my ortho is trying one last approach before calling it quits and getting it pulled so you can imagine I'm praying this works. He's now pulling straight down as he knows it will not interfere with nerves from surrounding teeth.
I need good vibes people!! Send positive thoughts my way....I really can't afford a bone graft, extraction and implant. I need this canine to start moving.
image2.png
3dimage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ditsy

#480 Post by ditsy »

Sending you plenty of tooth fairy dust millersgirl x