Got my price quote!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kimmy

Got my price quote!

#1 Post by Kimmy »

Hi everyone!

Some of you might remember me posting about a month ago asking the average price of braces. I went to see an orthodontist last Friday and he said out of 10 (10 being the worst for crowded crooked teeth) I'm a 10. He said not to worry though because he's done work on "11's" and that he enjoys a challenge. He's a younger doctor but I feel really confident in him. Very nice and easy to talk to. My upper palate is very narrow, almost in a v shape. He said I would need to wear braces for 1.5 years, get jaw work done, then wear my braces for another 1.5 years. So in total, 3 years with braces and jaw work. He said I'd be in the hospital for a few days with the jaw surgery and that it takes about a month to recover from. He said it's an incision inside the mouth so there's no scars. It has me worried but I still want to go ahead.

The only problem right now is the price. My quote is $6890 for the Damon braces. Anyone have any experience with these braces? He said they are the best. The monthly payment is very reasonable, $191 per month for 3 years. I'm on maternity leave right now though so it will have to wait for a little bit. I'm racking my brain trying to find ways to come up with extra money to do this though!

Thanks to everyone for their help. I hope to be a regular here soon. :)

Kim

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

Kim,

Does the price include the jaw surgery?

Depending upon where you live, the price sounds reasonable. I have Damon 3's and the price was $6,500 (I pay about $195 a month). My ortho has a large practice (Bay Area, CA) and excellent customer service...if you have a bracket come off, wire that needs clipping, etc., they get you in the same day usually.

Believe me, even tho the cost seems like a lot, as soon as you see the wonderful changes in your smile, you will know that just about any price is worth the end result! :D I am 9 months in and could not be more happy with my progress!

Kitty
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Kimmy

#3 Post by Kimmy »

Hi Kitty!

Thanks for your reply. My price quote doesn't include the jaw surgery. I'm from Prince Edward Island, Canada and the ortho was pretty sure that the gov't covers most of the cost. He said at most it would be another $500-$1000. The $6890 covers all of my x-rays, visits and a retainer. I really want to do this but I have to wait until I get back to work. My husband just got laid off too so it makes things really tough. :( Have you ever felt that you wanted something SO bad but it was feeling impossible to get it? I'm determined to get it but I'm impatient hehe.

Thanks again for responding!

Kim

peanut

#4 Post by peanut »

Hello,

I think I responded to one of your other posts before...

I am in New Brunswick, and I had to travel to Halifax to have my jaw surgery done. The only thing I had to pay for was the removal of my wisdom teeth. That's not covered by NB Medicare, but it is covered by my health plan up to 80%, so I will get most of that back. To find out if there will be any charges for surgery, just give your provincial Medicare office a call.

I don't have damons, so I don't know if that would explain the price difference, but I am only paying $5000 for my braces, including all x-rays and molds, and retainers when I am done.

Good luck as you start on your orthodontic journey.
peanut
Braced: September 23, 2004
Surgery: September 13, 2005

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I am paying 6500.00 for Damon 3's. I am in the SF Bay Area in California. My daughter has metal brackets and I am paying about $1000.00 less for hers. They probably charge more for adults because we ask so many questions! Luckily my insurance is paying $2000.00 of it so my payments are only $160.00 for two years. They are also paying $2000.00 of my daughters so I am very lucky. It is almost 2 for 1!

KittyW

#6 Post by KittyW »

The $6890 covers all of my x-rays, visits and a retainer.
Kim,

same here! It includes something like 2 years of "after treatment" appts. too. I'm paying for the whole deal out of pocket...my dental insurance only covers dependent children up to age 21. Maybe I should have moved to Canada for 2 years so the government would pay a bit? :) Must be nice!

All the same, it is a worthwhile investment in ME!
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Echo

#7 Post by Echo »

How did I get off so cheap? My treatment cost me $2000, of which my insurance pays half. I am paying my portion in $75 monthly payments, which won't take long, thank goodness! Just got done paying for my son's braces, which cost the same as mine.
[/url]

Kimmy

#8 Post by Kimmy »

Hey :)

I wish my insurance would cover the cost of braces. I have absolutely no orthodontic coverage so I have to pay for it all out of pocket. My wisdom teeth are getting removed October 28th and 80% of that is covered. I get basic dental coverage so it's better then nothing.

I can't wait until my husband and I both have a bit more money coming in so I can start getting my braces. With winter coming and Christmas I want to be sure about things financially before making a big committment of $191 a month.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Kim