do YOU feel MORE attractive in braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vanilla

#16 Post by vanilla »

The whole issue of attractiveness is being confident about the way you look. My smile gets wider as my teeth get straighter and I start to feel more confident.

There've been a lot of posts (negative & positive) about braces making us look younger. I know I'm not looking forward to getting them off and hence aging about 10 years.
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

Llamaland

#17 Post by Llamaland »

i dont really think i look more attractive or less attractive. Sometimes i feel my teeth look kind of yellow due to my curry addiction and therefore my fluro yellow ligs or powerchain (new powerchain took 1 day to stain oh the horror!) thats pretty mush my only qualm with the looks and braces but i am not really obsessed with how i look to often maybe when i am 18 i will i dunno but i have about 8 months til then.

flowertowngal

Uhmmm...no

#18 Post by flowertowngal »

I would have to say no. I have ceramics on top and I feel like my upper lip sticks out too much to be attractive. And when I smile broadly, as I am prone to do (!), it feels awkward.

I know its not popular to say this here but I really do not like the way I look in braces. I don't want to discourage anyone that is deciding whether or not to get them, though - even though I don't like them, I can live with them for two years if it means I will have a beautiful smile at the end.

I don't HAVE to love them for them to work - right?? Right??? Sigh...

Chr1ssy711

#19 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

My smile has dramaticly changed in only 2 months.
Before my braces i hated smiling, i had a fang (my k9 tooth was high up and protruded out) i will get pics up soon. But i hated it, and was self-consious

I was worried in the beginning and afraid people would make fun of me. Im already the youngest person in the office i work at. But they were supportive with advice, and if they made a joke i just laughed along with it.

My boyfriend is supportive but does constantly remind me that kissing amoung other things are different, acqward, or nearly impossible.

He said he is taking off work the day i get them off so we can make up lost time.......ohwell

But i feel about the same with my attractiveness. But differently. I still feel self consious about my smile, but im proud that they are straigtning, and people can see the progess.....my k9 is already all the way done, and almost in the correct place. Im very excited.
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

jay.tee.

#20 Post by jay.tee. »

nahky wrote:Great topic.
hehehe...tnx. it's just cool to know that the things some people consider "dorky" can actually make you more appreciative of yourself...in a good way :D

wiredinwinston

#21 Post by wiredinwinston »

I think they look awful, i mean i am not trying to be super negative, but i really hate them, trying to be on the singles scene with them sucks as well, the first time you smile at someone you just meet...you can kind of see a reaction.

mslinda70

#22 Post by mslinda70 »

OMG i felt the same way i never smiled, if i did i cover my mouth with my hand, but now that i got braces it hides the way my teeth really look so im smiling alll the time now and it feels good,

SumatraBouffant

H E L L no

#23 Post by SumatraBouffant »

I don't feel more attractive in braces. Are you kidding me?
On top of everything else they clash like a train wreck with gold earrings. When I wear dangly earrings I'm always afraid I'll get struck by lightening and fry my brain. (Ok that part was j/k). But NO I don't feel cute in my braces AT ALL.

Chris

Re: H E L L no

#24 Post by Chris »

SumatraBouffant wrote:I don't feel more attractive in braces. Are you kidding me?.

No Way, Jose... I don't feel MORE attractive, I feel absolutely UGLY with them but they won't be on permanently so who cares!!

I have enough self-esteem to wait it out. If we truly believe that its whats inside that counts on people than we have to believe that of ourselves.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

giantfigure

#25 Post by giantfigure »

hmm very good question! Well I have two thoughts running in my mind when I am talking to someone.

(i) I do not feel attractive in braces, and the other guy may be noticing my braces,, and unfortunately I cannot hide them.

(ii) Damn! Anyways, without the braces, I could not never smile freely because that would have exposed my impropoer smile to the other guy.

Final thought --
oh well. I laugh it off. I do not care about how the braces are looking. I just ignore them. I just think of the future...talking to the same guy after 18 months. Then my thought will be...oh well I have got better smile than you :lol:
^^ Top ceramic, Bottom metal
^^ Duration of treatment: 18 months

londonchick

#26 Post by londonchick »

10 months in and i can honestly say that yes i do feel more attractive. My teeth are now perfectly straight and aligned (although i still have the overbite) and so much nicer than when i started. I agree with someone elses post that my smile too has got wider the better my teeth look.

And for the record at 35 i really enjoy the years the braces knock off my age :lol:

swan

#27 Post by swan »

I basically feel like londonchick. The straighter my teeth get, the more attracktive I feel, even with braces on. Even though they are not perfectly straight yet, people are already commenting on how straight they are.

It's also fun how young people think I am. I'm 39, but for some I'm transported back into my twenties because of my braces (I've always looked young, but not that much!).
Metal braces from March 24, 2005 until July 30, 2007. Estimate was 18-24 months, but I had them for 28 months.

eurydice

#28 Post by eurydice »

Personally, I love my braces as I know my teeth which I've hated for ever are finally getting straighter, but I do get people double taking me when they see them - I do think braces on a 35 year old are quite strange!! But mostly people are really positive about them and really admiring that I'm going through with it. I wouldn't say I feel more attractive though, I'm hoping that will come after the braces come off.....
Braced 3 May 2005

jay.tee.

#29 Post by jay.tee. »

just got mine 2 hours ago and i feel alright...i look so weird in them...nothing special for now.

Retrogirl82

#30 Post by Retrogirl82 »

When I first got my braces on ( I have ceramics on top, metal lowers ), I absolutely wanted to die-- I was so mortified about how they looked and I was afraid that everyone was going to notice them ( although their claim to fame is that they are virtually invisible....pfft ). However, as the wire straightened out, I became less self-conscious about it and started smiling a lot wider.

The answer to your question is "NO", however....Although I do like how straight my teeth have become, the braces are still ugly as sin. Sometimes I wish I had just gotten all metals to begin with :lol:
I'm gonna marry Jake Gyllenhaal...he just doesn't know it yet ;) :)